Chronic Fin Rot

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ohsmp003.jpg

This is Casper :)
(I'm not sure if the red line on his side in the picture above is a stress line or if it's just his color, he tends to change his color a lot)

I've been having some problems with him developing fin rot. This is the third time he's had it in the last month and a half or so.

It's only a little spot:
The little red dot, it's actually on a fin.
ohsmp009.jpg

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with my stock, though none of the others seem to bug him, in fact he's the biggest bully in my tank.
(His tank mates are a female dalmatian molly, a panda cory and three Juvi Otto's.) - Not ideal but I;m waiting for the local fish auction to roll around to up my cory numbers. (They're much cheaper at auction than they are from the lfs)

My water parameters are fine. But the temperature has been up around 80-82 because of a heat wave. (I've unplugged the heaters, they're useless right now.)

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I have no problem moving stock.
I have treatment for him so he should be better soon, but I'd prefer he were healthy compared to constantly on fin rot treatment.

Would it perhaps be better to set up his old 5 gal and just have him in there by himself? He may not be the prettiest but he has a lot of spunk and I'd like him to not be uncomfortable...

Oh my gosh his pectoral fin is completely gone!

Clean water is a must. I would test your water and make sure it is safe.

Next, I would use aquarium salt. It is good to use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. You should remove any plants before you dose the salt because most plants don't like tolerating the salt. The salt kills bacteria and disinfects the tank. Do not use table salt because it has iodine and calcium silicate.

A good water conditioner or dechlorinator will help. Something that replaces the fishes' slime coat is best, like Stress Zyme.

Most reactions

Back