Christmas Moss?

luque

Fishaholic
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has any experience with cristmass moss, i bought some on saturday, and i placed it on my rocks, that make my cave, anyway i was just wondering if it has the same type of characteristics as java moss, as in will it grow like mad etc, also is this anygood to make a carpet with?

cheers

I currently work with Christmas moss. It is a good plant to work with and I find it very adaptable. I keep a few clumps in a betta bowl and some in various tanks. The more lighting it gets, I find the growth to be more compact and stiff. The rhizoids, or whatnot, very much resemble a very nice Christmas tree, like a Noble fir or a Spruce tree, and is a very dark, lovely green. Sometimes, you get a very pretty affect with the light green new shoots against the dark green older sections. When the lighting levels go down, however, I find the growth a bit more ragged, though still not as crazy as java moss. At times, it is susceptable to hair algae and BGA. For a moss, I find it grows rather quickly, even under low light. I also frequently lightly vacumn mine for detrius as waste can gather when it has a dense structure. It is easy to prune, simply cut with scissors, and save the clippings. If you put them in a betta bowl, near a moderately lit window, the moss will grow. Very easy to propogate.

Does that help?

Most reactions

Back