Chosing A Substrate

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gav_B_UK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK....think I have now made a decision on my tank.....next step is substrate...I'd like to keep plants...I'd also like to have some bottom dwellers. I like the idea of some kind of sand, but dont like the idea of silt and poisoneous pockets. I'm not in to phsychodelic substrate...I like a natural look (coming from a reef keeping background). Basically...I'm looking for advise:

1) How easy is a sand substrate to put in and keep? Is it a lot of work...easy to maintain, etc. Which sort would be best with a tank that uses an external filter (rather than undergravel)?

2) How much substrate?? With a reef tank I used to have a maximum of 1 inch of sand otherwise chaos broke lose and things were very hard to keep level (as I discovered with my initial 3 inches). How much in terms of depth?? But also, the tank will be 40" x 19" x 24"ish (around 210Litres/49 Gals)...so how many Kg of a substrate will I need to purchase to get the necessary depth??

3) What are people using on here and getting good..long standing results with??

Thanks in advance.....

Mmmmm...really need some help with this...please guys and girls....

After a little more reading I'm looking to possibly keep catfish, loaches and few tetras gouramis. Not exactly sure which and what combination yet. I read that loaches like a softer substrate. My worry is, that sand will raise my Ph too much for some fish in a community tank. I'm really stuck here.....

Sand is easy to keep, more pleasing to the eye, better for the fishes, and wont make your pH higher (unless it is made out of Limestone, but most sand is made of Quartz which is a very good rock for the aquarium)

When you clean the sand, all the poop is on the top of the sand, so it is easier to clean, also once a month you should quickly stir your sand up so that the anaerobic pockets don't develop and you get rid of the already existing ones.

Good Luck! (choose sand!)

Thanks for the replies...that's what I wanted to hear....

A couple more quickies...

1) Can a use a syphon vac on sand?? If not, how do I clean it??
2) Does sand need cleaning in anyway before use?
3) Which is the cheapest sand to use?? Do I buy it from an LFS like I did with my marine setup (at something like £12-£15 for 5 Kg), or elsewhere?
4) How deep do I need to make it?

Cheers again

Hey! I can answer a bit from my experience. I've got a tank with sand that I've been keeping for a bit over a year, I know, not as long as some but still.

1) Can a use a syphon vac on sand?? If not, how do I clean it?? Yes you can usea vaccum. I just swirl the end over the top of the sand to stir up the yuckies and then it gets sucked up. My glass scraper has a fork like thing on the end that I use to pierce/twist the sand when I do my cleanings to make sure I don't get pockets of "poison". I also have live plants so that helps to not have to worry about that because their roots will help. I am also considering some Malayan snails as I've read they're great at keeping the sand in good health.

2) Does sand need cleaning in anyway before use? I added some sand to the bottom of a bucket and rinsed it and rinsed it a little bit at a time. If rinsed well enough your tank should be clear within the day or by the next day at the latest. No cleansers needed.

3) Which is the cheapest sand to use?? Do I buy it from an LFS like I did with my marine setup (at something like £12-£15 for 5 Kg), or elsewhere? I just got regular old play sand from my local massive hardware and home store (here it was Home Depot). It was only a few dollars.

4) How deep do I need to make it? If you aren't having live plants shallow is fine, mine with live plants I keep a couple of inches deep.

Sorry about the US $ and measurements but that's all I've got in my head. :) Hope it helped anyway.

Hey! I can answer a bit from my experience. I've got a tank with sand that I've been keeping for a bit over a year, I know, not as long as some but still.

1) Can a use a syphon vac on sand?? If not, how do I clean it?? Yes you can usea vaccum. I just swirl the end over the top of the sand to stir up the yuckies and then it gets sucked up. My glass scraper has a fork like thing on the end that I use to pierce/twist the sand when I do my cleanings to make sure I don't get pockets of "poison". I also have live plants so that helps to not have to worry about that because their roots will help. I am also considering some Malayan snails as I've read they're great at keeping the sand in good health.

2) Does sand need cleaning in anyway before use? I added some sand to the bottom of a bucket and rinsed it and rinsed it a little bit at a time. If rinsed well enough your tank should be clear within the day or by the next day at the latest. No cleansers needed.

3) Which is the cheapest sand to use?? Do I buy it from an LFS like I did with my marine setup (at something like £12-£15 for 5 Kg), or elsewhere? I just got regular old play sand from my local massive hardware and home store (here it was Home Depot). It was only a few dollars.

4) How deep do I need to make it? If you aren't having live plants shallow is fine, mine with live plants I keep a couple of inches deep.

Sorry about the US $ and measurements but that's all I've got in my head. :) Hope it helped anyway.

If you have the money and want an awsome looking substrate check out eco-complete substrate, packed with nutrients for plants and a very pleasing natural look

Most reactions

Back