Chipped tank - repair or a no go?

Iron

Reaction score
Hi

After moving house I've come to the time to look at starting back into the hobby.
However looking over a tank I was going to start with I've noticed a couple of chips in the glass.

One is the corner at the bottom and another is down the join on the corner edge.
It's a 14 gallon/53 litre tank.

I've attached photos.

What are peoples opinions on this, do you think these are worth a repair or is the tank a write off?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• PXL_20240613_115727356.jpg
    PXL_20240613_115727356.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240613_115811633.jpg
    PXL_20240613_115811633.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240613_115658044.jpg
    PXL_20240613_115658044.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20240613_115702598.jpg
    PXL_20240613_115702598.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 26
Can you post a picture showing the entire tank and we might have a better idea?

If it's only on 1 piece of glass, you can swap the piece and be good to go. It might even be ok as is due to the size of the tank (small), depending on how deep the chips are.

Hello. I would fill the tank and see if it holds water. If you see a small leak, then something like this can be easily fixed with some type of silicone repair product.

Cheers for the advice, here are some pictures of the tank in full. I was considering a light sanding and silicone and/or some repair tape or similar but didn't want to bother if it looks like the whole thing would crack later.

Attachments

• PXL_20240613_160615382.jpg
    PXL_20240613_160615382.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240613_160556184.jpg
    PXL_20240613_160556184.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240613_160641632.jpg
    PXL_20240613_160641632.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 20
Personally, if it were me, I would not take the chance of just using silicone to repair even though it is a smaller tank. The problem with such repairs is that cracks tend to spread. A 14 gallon tank is pretty cheap to replace. If I were to repair I'd replace the glass, not just patch. By the time you buy the glass, silicone and consider the time spent it would likely be cheaper to replace the tank and even possibly one a bit larger.

Another thought that I'd consider is to replace the tank and use the one that is damaged as a terrarium with reptiles or amphibians. The damaged tank would be fine for 2-3 smallish reptiles or possibly land and water (the water below the cracks) populating with a couple of newts or salamanders.

Personally, if it were me, I would not take the chance of just using silicone to repair even though it is a smaller tank. The problem with such repairs is that cracks tend to spread. A 14 gallon tank is pretty cheap to replace. If I were to repair I'd replace the glass, not just patch. By the time you buy the glass, silicone and consider the time spent it would likely be cheaper to replace the tank and even possibly one a bit larger.

Another thought that I'd consider is to replace the tank and use the one that is damaged as a terrarium with reptiles or amphibians. The damaged tank would be fine for 2-3 smallish reptiles or possibly land and water (the water below the cracks) populating with a couple of newts or salamanders.
Thanks jaylach

Good ideas. I do have a larger 20 gallon tank which I may set up instead.
I like the terrarium/reptile idea though as well, and it would fit the bill of something interesting for my 5 year old to be involved in.
👍

What are the tank dimensions, about 18 inches long x 12 inches wide x 18 inches high?

How many chips are there, just the two (one on the side and one on bottom corner)?

If the answer to both questions is yes, you are probably fine to use it as is. However, I would use some fine sand paper on a sanding block (make sure you use a sanding block or piece of wood to wrap the sand paper around so you don't cut yourself) and carefully go over the damaged areas to remove sharp edges and fine bits that could cut someone. Then put a thin layer of silicon over the damaged areas (on the outside of the glass). The silicon is more to protect people from the possible sharp edges of the chipped glass. You could add a little more silicon in the tank around each chip and let it dry for a week, then set the tank up outside and fill it with water. If it's good after a week, set it up inside.

*NB* wear safety glass when sanding glass so you don't get splinters in your eyes.

Alternatively replace the piece of glass. Use a single sided razorblade to cut through the silicon holding that piece of glass on. Clean the old silicon off the area on the tank where the glass came from. Get a new piece of glass the same size and clean it with soapy water then rinse well and dry. Use some glass silicon to glue the new piece on. The silicon should have a picture of an aquarium or state suitable for aquariums on the packet. Run a bead of silicon around the edge of the glass on the tank and put the new piece of glass on. Use some tape to hold the glass in place for 24 hours. After you have glued the panel on, run your finger along the inside of the tank to spread out the new silicon. Leave the whole thing to sit for 24 hours then remove the tape from the outside and let the tank sit for a week before filling it.

Final idea is terrarium or something, as mentioned by Jaylach.

*NB* do not stick your head in the tank and inhale the fumes when gluing the glass on. The silicon fumes can make you pass out.

Try to glue the tank in a well ventilated area that is warm and dry.

This is one of those times, I would check the local Petco to see if they are having their tank sale.

Thanks Colin

I should've included the dimensions in the first post, doh!

Ah well they are: 458 x 304 x 385mm so about 18 x 12 x 15 inch.

Good options. I've sanded it down and used some adhesive and glass repair tape on it, I'll fill it up and see what happens somewhere out the way.

I was quite fancying the smaller tank as it would just be able to sit in the office with me hopefully be quite calming to watch without been too much to maintain but may go with the larger tank anyway.

For the Petco advice, I'm UK based and wouldn't fancy replacing this size a tank anyway, I'd more likely either go a significant size or just resort to an alternative use for the tanks (my daughter has been after keeping gerbils and they are good to watch tunnelling in tanks.
Either way I'm hooked into some project or other!

Most reactions

Back