chip in glass tank

BigChiefSmokem

Reaction score
Well, I moved to my new apartment, and it seems i've chipped a piece of glass off of the edge of the tank where it sides to the other piece of glass. It looks like the silicone sealant is still in tact, but... Will it present a big problem? Is the tank unusable now? Can it be patched?

Its hard to say without actually seeing the chip for myself. Best thing do do is fill it with water and keep a close eye on it. Or you could always play it really safe and get another tank.

=DG=- said:
Fill it up with silicon.
The higher up the chip, the better, cause there is less water pressure acting on it.
Either way, yes, silicon should do the job, then fill it up and watch it. During that time, you can start Fishless Cycling also! :)

You could (with care ) use fibe glass matting and dope...this will make a really strong job of it but you may have to hide the work if it looks unsightly.

This chip is about 1/4 of the way up the tank up the tank. Its chipped, but not too bad. I think i'm gonna fill it up with water and see if she leaks. This would be a great excuse to get another tank! :) Maybe a 20G? :D

Most reactions

Back