Chiclid Slate tank

Malt_Vinegar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My first attempt at aqua scaping, was worried the slate could damage the fish??

Am i worrying for no reason (again :p)

slate1.jpg

slate2.jpg

slate3.jpg

slate4.jpg

No backdrop yet, and the water is a tiny bit dirty. What colour backdrop should i go for do u think?

Its UK slate i believe, got it from one of my LFS :D

The small pieces are from pets@home

I paid 17.50 for the whole bag, which is all the large bits and the thin slivers.

The chiclids are going in, in a few days, when i know for sure its properly cleared and cycled :)

As long as you don't have the type and size fish that can bring that stack down on top of them I think that it looks WONDERFUL. Really , looks awesome, I'd just be worried that a fish could get squished...

ALASKA

That looks amazing and will look even better once the water has cleared and the fish are in :) If you want to play it safe, you can silicone the slate together. Sometimes rocks move all by themselves over time so i recomend 'glueing' them together in some way. (I lost my betta because rocks toppled on him :unsure:

I think black or dark blue backdrops look good in most tanks. Nice aquascaping. How big's the tank?

When my oscar was small i built him this slate cave thing. He seemed to enjoy it but he kept scraping against it as he got bigger and one day he was so scratched up it looked like his whole side was white with cuts. Buit i took the cave out and replaced it with some round river rocks and he hasn't had a cut on him since. Hes kinda clumsy but other cichlids are more graceful like discus and angelfish. Bt the way its cichlid (sick-lid) not chicklid.

I think a black background would be nice, but if you want something lighter, blue would also look good.

Cheers peeps, its a 20 UK gallon tank, the rocks are not secured in any way yet,. However, they are rock solid (pardon the pun :p)

I made sure the base rocks were touching glass so they will be a good foundation.

The sand really is that colour, i mixed two varieties to get it that way :D

My LFS said to get 10 small cichlid's and then transfer return/sell a few as they get bigger and need more space. Seems a reasonable idea for me :)

I am leaning towards a black background atm!! Oh, and the water looks a lot better this morning :thumbs:

Really Nice Aquascaping. The purple slate looks very cool

Most reactions

Back