Cheap Tank Stand Idea

cwa

Reaction score
I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank but budget limits me. I have access to a really cheap used 55 gallon tank, but have no stand or furniture that would hold it. Not caring about looks, I thought about cinder blocks and plywood. Stack 3-4 blocks in 3 columns with plywood shelves in between each row with a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood top. Cover it with a table cloth. Think this would work for a temporary situation?

Yes, it'll work, done it myself countless times, as I'm not a 'smart' sort of person ;) My mum's 5x2x2 was on a 'stand' like that too, with no problems.

Me too, I also cut polystyrene tiles to size as a buffer/sandwich between the blocks and the shelving and painted it white, looked great.

I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank but budget limits me. I have access to a really cheap used 55 gallon tank, but have no stand or furniture that would hold it. Not caring about looks, I thought about cinder blocks and plywood. Stack 3-4 blocks in 3 columns with plywood shelves in between each row with a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood top. Cover it with a table cloth. Think this would work for a temporary situation?

That would work great.

If you want to put more time into it. I would get a decent amount of 2x4s and nails and build one that way. It would cost about the same, look better and be more permanent too.

Good luck! Post some pics when you have it up.

I'm looking at less than $15 for the stand (less than half that if my dad has the plywood already). Much better than the $150+ to buy one.

Yeah! Dad has the plywood and almost all of the blocks needed. Looks like my stand will cost me either $0 or $3. Now I'm excited. Was anticipating getting a new tank within the next few months and now it looks like I can do it in the next few days!

Most reactions

Back