cheap rimless tanks?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reptilenotfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Salt lake area, utah, USA, North America.
I am constantly planning setups or ideas for the future, and really love the look of rimless aquariums. Of course they are very expensive, and as a teenager with only a part time job, budget is everything to me. that said, is there any seller in the US that sells larger tanks for a reasonable price? I know that you can just cut the rim off of smaller tanks (<20g) and re-silicone them, but is there a way to reinforce larger tanks?, or is the glass just too thin? any advice is greatly appreciated!😁

The cheap larger tanks that I have seen all have a cross piece that is integral to the structure of the tank, otherwise the front window will bow out too far. I would say that even some of the smaller tanks have a bowing issue. (My recent cheap Tetra 10 gallon bows out on the long side). I don't know of any cheap rimless tanks. Part of the issue is that the glass they use is more expensive, though nice. I don't know how much is markup.

Rimless tanks are often run without a top. I was doing that at home because I also like the look but had to stop because it drove the relative humidity up too high. All my tanks have tops again. You might be ok rimless in Utah as most parts are pretty dry.

I am constantly planning setups or ideas for the future, and really love the look of rimless aquariums. Of course they are very expensive, and as a teenager with only a part time job, budget is everything to me. that said, is there any seller in the US that sells larger tanks for a reasonable price? I know that you can just cut the rim off of smaller tanks (<20g) and re-silicone them, but is there a way to reinforce larger tanks?, or is the glass just too thin? any advice is greatly appreciated!😁
Don't cut the black rim off of any tank. That is there for a support, and if you remove it, it could demolish the structural integrity of the tank. Better to be safe than sorry in this case.

Rimless tanks are made completely different, in the sense that stronger glass and silicone are used.

I just moved, brilliantly on a day that was -27. I had to drive 900 km, and things got chilly in the truck. The fish made it, no problem, but the emptied dry tanks? A bunch of very inexpensive 10s (7 of them) cracked when I brought them in to warm up dry. They'd made the drive intact, but the weakness of the thin glass really showed. All of my even a little more expensive tanks were fine - only the dollar a gallon types spidered out.
The conditions were extreme, but the lesson was basic. A lot of things can stress a tank, and not every tank can take it. I will be checking for slightly thicker glass from now on in. When I was a broke kid, I bought cheap tanks. I had them for a few years. My one brand name tank tank lasted from when I was 16 until I was 60. Then it leaked...
Be wary of too cheap.

Most reactions

Back