channle cats

Fish-Fanatic

Reaction score
First of all is a channle cat a coldwater fish or not? and also how do you tell if its a male or female? I have one in a 30 gallon tank with 3 aquatic turtles so the tank is only half full and it has no heater, so would it be fine in this set up? Its about 3-4 inches long but i dont really know how long they get in captivity when they get fullgrown.... I was thinking about getting it a ten gallon tank for just it but would that be to small?

I'd be careful with that catfish in a tank with 3 turtles. Turtles will try to eat anything moving. Keep a close eye on the little catfish,give him tons of caves to hide in. My turtle is a psycho,he'd see that as a fast snack or an appetizer. :D

well my turtels are pretty small and hes growing at about the same rate as they are so i dont think i will have a problem with that and he does have alot of caves so i think hes safe in there for now. Ive read somewhere that fish usaly only grow to the size the tanks will permit, so is that true? because if it is i think he would be ok in a 10 gallon.......but i really dont know lol

Thanks for the help and thanks for the help i hope to get!

Are you serious?

If you are serious, no a ten gallon would not be sufficient. In fact I would be wary of a store that sold you one and did not inform you of how big they get. I admit that is the customers responsibillity to know, but a channel cat? C'mon a fish store should ask about that.

Any time you buy a fish tell them how big of a tank your putting it in. Better yet look into any fish you get before you get it (unfortunatelly I have failed to do that and now have one fish that I should not (flounder))

If your not serious, haha

By the way do not get a pleco either for a ten, unless you know what size the species you get gets.

The problem with small tanks is you are limited on the fish you can stock it with

well a pet store didnt sell me it.......i caught it in a creek thingy when it was about a cm long.....but anyways nobody has told me if the size of the tank will limit the size of the fish and they will live happily in a smaller one, and i was just thinking of getting the channle cat in the 10 gallon and no other fish.....

Thanks for the help! (again)

No it would not be happy in a ten gallon.

No, a fish will not limit it's growth enough that you could put it in a tank that is a third of the length that the fish will eventually grow to.

I did say a ten gallon would not be sufficient in my previous post.

(I do not mean to sound rude in either of these posts)

Good luck

I found another link for you to check out here

Check what they recommend as a tank size

I have two channels and not a problem I kept them in a 10 gallon tank for one year and now there & inches long.

Most reactions

Back