Changing water

bigphesta

Reaction score
How often should you change your water? I have a 30 gal that I have been changing 5 gal every 2-3 days. I was in PetSmart and told the lady that (was talking about the clarity of my water) and she freaked out on me saying I was throwing away all my good bacteria. From what I've seen and read, this is kept on the items IN my tank and not on the water itself. Is this correct or was she right?

your right. the beneficial bacteria is in your filter, gravel etc... How often and how much you change your water seems to vary alot. i do about a 30 % water change once a week. I think it depends on how long your tank can go on its own without any maintenance from you before your water readings (amonia, nitrite etc..) change. Is there something wrong with your water clarity now?

no nothing. I had added a few more fish and they spiked the amonia and nitrite up agian, and then it got cloudy, and then my filter died, so I upgraded to a new Emperor 280 and it's clear now.

I think it depends on how long your tank can go on its own without any maintenance from you before your water readings (amonia, nitrite etc..) change.

Even without water changes the ammonia and nitrite will stay at zero in a cycled tank. The water changes are to keep the nitrAte down and to generally get rid of other impurities in the water. Fish that live in tanks that don't have regular maintainance are more suspectable to disease. The tank is a closed environment without the ability to refresh itself and by regularly changing the water, you are keeping that environment healthy.

bigphesta said:
I was in PetSmart and told the lady that (was talking about the clarity of my water) and she freaked out on me saying I was throwing away all my good bacteria.
The other thing to remember (at least in my experience) is that most big chain store employees give the worst advice going.

You are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing!

Once the amonia and nitrites go down you can switch to once a week 20%-25% if you'd like.

Most reactions

Back