Changing substrate

Mathew1991

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
I have black very small 2mm gravel

I’m looking to change to sand as I have read it’s better for corys and plants if I decide to go into them what is the best way to change it

Do it before acquiring any more fish. This is tricky though, as the current death-causing whatever is unknown, and changing the substrate will be highly stressful, and stress on top of already-stressed fish is anything but advisable. But, assuming the issue gets resolved, the plan should be:

Set up a temporary tank, have some substrate on the bottom, Use water siphoned from the existing tank, siphon it from the surface before you start any of this so it is clean and well oxygenated. Move over the decor and plants. Move the filter over without any cleaning, and the heater. Cover the surface with floating plants, I usually lay the taller plants on the surface rather than planting them. Net the fish over. Make sure the temp tank has a cover, fish will jump. And the whole idea with this temp tank is you can leave the fish overnight or a day or two if needed. You do not want to be rushed. Start early in the morning, about an hour after the tank light comes on to avoid more stress.

Remove the substrate from the existing tank. Rinse the sand and dump it in. When you have enough, arrange the hardscape. Add some water, maybe half, and plant the substrate-rooted plants. This will make quite a mess, so drain all water out and refill using a bowl to avoid stirring up the sand. Make sure it is the correct temperature as you fill it, don't expect any heater to heat cold water at this amount. Use the dechlorinator at this fill. If all is good, move over the filter, again without cleaning it. Net the fish over.

Thinking of changing over the substrate today is it possible to net the fish out them in bucket take out the gravel then out the sand straight in the out the fish straight back

I usually do it without removing the fish, which is about the least stressful way. Remove plants and decor. Siphon out the gravel, replace with sand. Lower netfuls of sand down to the bottom to prevent the water clouding as much.

Changed over the substrate with fish in water has gone very cloudy can I do a another water change to try and clear or is that no good

Changed over the substrate with fish in water has gone very cloudy can I do a another water change to try and clear or is that no good
If the cloudiness is from the sand I wouldn't bother and I would just let it settle. It's annoying but should settle within 12-24 hours.

You can do a water change any time. Some wool in the filter will take it out.

If the cloudiness is from the sand I wouldn't bother and I would just let it settle. It's annoying but should settle within 12-24 hours.
Yes it’s from the sand since I’ve put it in I can’t see anything haha so I’ve put all the plants in a big tub with tank water for now till it clears so I can re plant everything will they be ok

Yes it’s from the sand since I’ve put it in I can’t see anything haha so I’ve put all the plants in a big tub with tank water for now till it clears so I can re plant everything will they be ok
100%

Most reactions

Back