Changing substrate

armour72

Reaction score
Hi. I really need advice. I started a 32.5g Fluval Flex on 3/21/23. I used a 20# bag of Eco Complete on the bottom, 30 Seachem root tabs next, then topped with 3.5 bags (15.4# each) of Seachem Flourite. I know now that was a mistake. I was under the impression that the thick substrate would lead to a very healthy tank. The Nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia have been zero. I've had issues with my pH since the beginning. It's 8.2 from the faucet and raises quickly once in the tank. I know I have way to much substrate and I plan to remove all of the Eco Complete. Other than my pH and some excess algae, my tank and fish are doing well. So I'm terrified of altering anything in the tank. I would appreciate advice for the best way to accomplish this without harming my fish.

Current fish:
--3 Neon Tetra
--1 Danio
--5 Cherry Barb
--3 Panda Cory
--3 Hillstream Loach
--3 Mollies
--3 adult Guppies, 3 young guppies, and now at least 10 more fry (this is a separate issue and I'm working on a plan to separate the males and females, ugh).

Tank accessories:
--1 very large piece of driftwood and one small piece.
--2 rocks (a lava rock and a dragon stone).
--4 air stones
--a lot of plants in the substrate and on the driftwood.
--Cattapa leaves
--The Flex has the filter built into the back of the tank.

My plan:
--Remove most of the water, all of the wood/rocks/air stones without cleaning them, and all of the fish into buckets. The large sponges and media in the back I was also going to place in the buckets.
--Next I am planning to remove the rest of the water and the plants into another bucket.
--Then take out as much Flourite as I can without getting into the Evo Complete layer, and setting aside.
--Then take out all of the Eco Complete and dispose of it.
--At this point I plan to put root tabs on the bottom and add the Flourite back in.
--Then replant all of the plants and place all of the wood, rocks, sponges, air stones back without cleaning them. Then fill half way with fresh water.

I'm not positive that my approach this far is correct. And I have no idea when I can put the fish back. I hate to keep them in buckets for long, but I'm also afraid of ammonia spikes from stirring up the Flourite so much. Should I just add all new Flourite instead? Or should I rinse the old Flourite before putting it back in? Will this tank need to cycle again? Should I add the old water back to fill the remaining 50% or should I just fill the tank with entirely new water? I've been running a filter in a 2gal tank for a couple months and plan to add this to one of the buckets. And I also purchased some sponge filters to use temporarily in the buckets as well.

I have a well established 5 gallon tank with one blue shrimp. I change 25-50% of the water every few days to keep the nitrates at 5. The ammonia and nitrites have been negative. The substrate is Fluval Stratum. The pH is high just like the Flex. I had planned to move the female guppies to this tank at some point soon. I've just been nervous of losing anyone when making that change, including my little shrimp.

I also have a 9 gallon Flex tank that has been cycling for a month. I believe it is ready. Nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia have been negative. Again the pH is high like the others (8.5-8.9). This tank only has Flourite. I can try adding some fish to this tank.

I lost numerous fish initially when I put fish in the 32.5 gal Flex. That was traumatic. I'm so afraid of moving them to a different tank or back to the one they were in too quickly and losing more. This is why I'm hesitant to do anything, yet I know I need to eventually. The Eco Complete probably takes up a good 8 gallons of space in that tank!

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

I recently changed from gravel to a fluval substrate with sand. Your plan seems very similar to what I did. It was a bit stressful but it worked. I took out the fish and put them into a 5 gallon bucket, then I drained the tank and put all of the decorations on a towel. I scooped out the substrate and put in a bucket that I later put into a plastic bag. I put in the new substrate and the decorations and filled the tank. Wait for the water to clear up a bit and then you can add the fish back in. I would recommend if you have an air stone to put in the bucket just to put some oxygen in for the fish while there waiting. The tank shouldn’t need to cycle again. I would leave the fluorite but just test the water for ammonia to see if it spiked before you put in the fish. If it does than just do a large water change until it goes back down. I would leave 25 to 50 percent of the water just to make sure you still have good bacteria so you don’t have to cycle the tank again. When you introduce fish to a new tank it is good to introduce them slowly so you don’t have an ammonia spike, and it gives the tank some time to adjust to having fish for the first time.

Hello. Wow, that's a lot of information. I think you have a great tank! You have a considerable source of natural nutrients in this setup. Natural materials help maintain good water conditions. I wouldn't change a thing. I would heavily plant this tank and change half the tank water every few days to maintain a steady water chemistry. The plants should grow quite well given all the bottom material you have and the fish have a great home. Fish are naturally at home and feel comfortable in tanks with a lot of plants. The plants provide so many hiding and exploring places. Try to be an aggressive water changer. The fish will love it. Great job!

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Thank you
I recently changed from gravel to a fluval substrate with sand. Your plan seems very similar to what I did. It was a bit stressful but it worked. I took out the fish and put them into a 5 gallon bucket, then I drained the tank and put all of the decorations on a towel. I scooped out the substrate and put in a bucket that I later put into a plastic bag. I put in the new substrate and the decorations and filled the tank. Wait for the water to clear up a bit and then you can add the fish back in. I would recommend if you have an air stone to put in the bucket just to put some oxygen in for the fish while there waiting. The tank shouldn’t need to cycle again. I would leave the fluorite but just test the water for ammonia to see if it spiked before you put in the fish. If it does than just do a large water change until it goes back down. I would leave 25 to 50 percent of the water just to make sure you still have good bacteria so you don’t have to cycle the tank again. When you introduce fish to a new tank it is good to introduce them slowly so you don’t have an ammonia spike, and it gives the tank some time to adjust to having fish for the first time.
This may be a dumb question, but if the ammonia is going to spike, how quickly does it happen? Hours or days? I would want to make the change when I would be home during the entire process. This way I could test the water every couple hours to prevent any harm to my fish.

First bit of advice, do not use any plant substrate (Flourite, Eco-Complete, or another) with substrate fish like cories. There is a roughness issue (even if it "feels" non-rough), and even more a bacterial problem for substrate fish especially. I had Flourite some years ago, and had to remove the cories, then after two years of plant growth that was no better than before, I dumped the Flourite in the back garden and used soft sand. Plants thrived, and so did the fish.

You can use an aquarium sand, just make sure it is inert and soft. Or since you are in the USA, look for Quikrete Play Sand at Lowe's and Home Depot. I used this, and changed all my tanks over and never regretted it.

Seachem's Flourish Tabs are very good, but 30 in a 32g tank is way more than you should need. I use these but only for large rooted plants, like swords. The tabs do not release nutrients into the water column, but only when next to the plant roots. The liquid Flourish Comprehensive Supplement provides all plants with all nutrients.

Thank you

This may be a dumb question, but if the ammonia is going to spike, how quickly does it happen? Hours or days? I would want to make the change when I would be home during the entire process. This way I could test the water every couple hours to prevent any harm to my fish.
It’s not a dumb question at all I actually don’t know for sure but I just looked it up and it said it can take a few hours or so for it to reach toxic levels so I would recommend doing it on a day you can stay home all day such as the weekend.

Hello. Wow, that's a lot of information. I think you have a great tank! You have a considerable source of natural nutrients in this setup. Natural materials help maintain good water conditions. I wouldn't change a thing. I would heavily plant this tank and change half the tank water every few days to maintain a steady water chemistry. The plants should grow quite well given all the bottom material you have and the fish have a great home. Fish are naturally at home and feel comfortable in tanks with a lot of plants. The plants provide so many hiding and exploring places. Try to be an aggressive water changer. The fish will love it. Great job!

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Thank you! And thanks for the advice. That was quite a lengthy post, wasn't it? Haha. I was told when I first joined that more information is better, but I may take that a bit far sometimes ;) Congratulations on tank #11! Now that I have been fishkeeping for a couple of years, I can completely understand how people end up with so many aquariums. It's such a fun and rewarding hobby. There are so many species of fish and plants to choose from!

It’s not a dumb question at all I actually don’t know for sure but I just looked it up and it said it can take a few hours or so for it to reach toxic levels so I would recommend doing it on a day you can stay home all day such as the weekend.

Thank you, that's a good plan. If it spikes and I change the water immediately, and continue doing large water changes every day, when can I stop and go back to a normal routine? For example, it spikes on day 1 and I correct it, could it spike again the next day or days 3 or 4 if I'm still doing the water changes? Or, can I safely assume that after 2 days of strict monitoring I can relax a little?

Most reactions

Back