Changing substrate

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 64 litre tank fully cycled and running since 2017. It currently houses 4 male guppies and 3 peppered corys. The substrate in the tank is currently gravel, however I have learnt that sand is much more suitable for corys and I have done research on how to go about changing the substrate. My questions is when cleaning the sand before putting it into the tank, can it be cleaned with normal tap water or does the water need to be treated before cleaning the sand.
Thank you in advance

Hi, I have a 64 litre tank fully cycled and running since 2017. It currently houses 4 male guppies and 3 peppered corys. The substrate in the tank is currently gravel, however I have learnt that sand is much more suitable for corys and I have done research on how to go about changing the substrate. My questions is when cleaning the sand before putting it into the tank, can it be cleaned with normal tap water or does the water need to be treated before cleaning the sand.
Thank you in advance
Normal tap water is fine for rinsing the sand. Once its in the tank, the dechlorinator you put in the water you fill up with will take care of anything on the sand

Most reactions

Back