Changing Substrate

redbug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my substrate to sand. I have river rock (large pebbles and stones) my corys love to root in the stuff but I am sure they would prefer sand.
My question is can the change be accomplished with out draining my tank?

I also have around 20lbs (dry weight) in drift wood. I would like to add some live plants down the road
Can the switch be done?

I am thinking about changing my substrate to sand. I have river rock (large pebbles and stones) my corys love to root in the stuff but I am sure they would prefer sand.

I also have around 20lbs (dry weight) in drift wood. I would like to add some live plants down the road
Can the switch be done?
I've done it before without draining but it's alot of work. Preclean your new sand first with water flushes
1) grab baggies for all your fishes
2) put them in baggies and tape them to the rim of your tank so the bags don't float around
3) take all your ornaments out including driftwood
4) use a clean dust pan or disposable cup and start removing all your rocks/pebbles
5) once done do a good gravel vac on the barebottom tank and make sure it's clean
6) turn off all your filters, and start pouring your pre cleaned sand into the tank
7) level it off and start putting back all your ornaments and driftwood
8) turn back on your filter
9) pour some prime water conditioner in ( just a preference I like to do)
10) reintroduce your fish's back into the tank
11) monitor your water stats with test kit for the next few days
12) take pictures and post it on forums to show of your new set up( not optional :p )

Can the switch be done?
I've done it before without draining but it's alot of work. Preclean your new sand first with water flushes
2) put them in baggies and tape them to the rim of your tank so the bags don't float around
4) use a clean dust pan or disposable cup and start removing all your rocks/pebbles
5) once done do a good gravel vac on the barebottom tank and make sure it's clean
6) turn off all your filters, and start pouring your pre cleaned sand into the tank
12) take pictures and post it on forums to show of your new set up( not optional :p )

I was thinking of doing this also, as I have cories. I was going to do it this weekend but it's been snowing and I don't want to clean sand outside in the snow :lol:

Can the switch be done?

did your fish mind the water being abit cloudy?? ... with the sand just going straight in will just dirty the water?

i may try this method but do a water change as soon as ive put the sand in :)

First thing I wrote is Preclean your sand with rinses. But in most cases it will get cloudy because of the fines, but my fishes were fine with it. After a few water changes, it will get better.

It seems to me the easiest and kindest way to do this would be the way I changed my tanks over. Buy yourself a large plastic tub from a DIY store (they are cheap and useful) fill it with your tank water and put your fish & plants in - and the filter and heater and run them in the tank. This way you can change your substrate and do it over a few days so the sand can settle without your fish being subjected to breathing it in. :good:

It seems to me the easiest and kindest way to do this would be the way I changed my tanks over. Buy yourself a large plastic tub from a DIY store (they are cheap and useful) fill it with your tank water and put your fish & plants in - and the filter and heater and run them in the tank. This way you can change your substrate and do it over a few days so the sand can settle without your fish being subjected to breathing it in. :good:

This is how I did my change to sand too...you can get a pretty big plastic container for a few quid..maybe even 2 if you wanna save most of the water.

buy washed sand. rinse it 4-5 times in a bucket before transferring to tank (it's still filthy). water should clear after a couple of days running the filter. mine was crystal clear after 2 days.

Most reactions

Back