Changing Substrate

Cro-Baller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of questions on substrate.

I currently have gravel and would like to change it to sand (better for the bottom dwellers that I seem to like a lot, plus I believe better for planting?) is there a relatively simple way to change it or is it a full empty etc?

If it is a full empty etc then what is the best thing to do with the fish? Put them in the bath with the current tank water, maybe put in one of the filters too? I would only want to do this if I can get it done in less than a day (save stress on the fish) is this possible?

What would the experienced members think of this?

Also I have an Eheim gravel cleaner, are they OK with sand? I have to admit it is MILES better than the standard one I bought at first.

it is probably best to put the fish somewhere, i wouldnt ue the bath becaue of soap resedue etc. put them in a spare thak or similar with heater and filter

then empty the tank take out the gravel, wash the sand and put it in. put in all the ornaments and plants, fill it back up and reintrudice the fish once the sand has mostly settled

I have done this several times with zero casualties !!!! I just vac the gravel (or the water turns into chicken soup) Then scoop it out with my hand, or an old plastic cup etc..... same for replacing the sand (but DO turn off any filters when adding sand...)

"Simples" (to quote Aleksandr !)

I have done this several times with zero casualties !!!! I just vac the gravel (or the water turns into chicken soup) Then scoop it out with my hand, or an old plastic cup etc..... same for replacing the sand (but DO turn off any filters when adding sand...)

"Simples" (to quote Aleksandr !)

I did basically the same procedure. Also, rinse the sand really well first to get any dust out of it.

The water turns pretty cloudy for about 24 hours, but the fish seem to do okay.

Most reactions

Back