Changing internal filter for external

Country joe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've noticed on the Internet looking at aquarium sites, when changing your filter some say it's best to leave the two running side by side in the tank, I will be soon taking out the internal filter and replacing with a external, I don't wish to run them together, but by replacing the filter sponges on to the external, is this a better method, and would it be also beneficial to add Goop live bacteria to the external filter.

The easiest way is to put all the media from the internal into the external and fill the gaps with the new media which comes with the external. Ceramic media from the old filter can be placed in a bag and surrounded by new ceramic media. Old sponges can be put in the new filter, and cut up if necessary to make them fit. Then gaps filled with media which comes with the new filter. The left over new media media can be kept in a cupboard for now.
In a couple of months, some of the old media can be removed and some new media taken from the cupboard and added to the filter. In a month take some more old media out and replace it with more new media and so on till all the old media has gone.

You can add Goop if you want, but it should not be necessary if you use all the old media. However, if you can't fit all the old media, Goop could be helpful.

Yup, just use the mature media form the old filter, and fill up any extra space in the external with the new media. It will be a seamless changeover in biofiltration capability.

Most reactions

Back