Changing Filter In Venezia Tank.

Jaymz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, me again. I'm getting the Fluval Venezia 190 soon, but I fancied seeing if my LFS would swap the 205 that comes with for a 305, as I plan to have the tank quite well-stocked, and just feel the more filtration the better.

However, with the under-tank filter system, would this cause any problems that anyone knows of? Will the in-out hoses be the same size and stuff? (Basically, will it fit?)

Thanks! :)

Unfortunalty not, If you buy a tank that comes with a 105 or 205, the bulkhead and pipes are 12mm. If you buy a tank with a 305 or 405 it will come with 16mm hoses. So unfomrtunatly, you wont be able to use a 305 on a 12mm connection.

How about running the 205 through the plumbing system and getting another 205 / 305 and just run the hoses over the rim like usuall??

Let us know how you get on, Adam

Hmm, bummer. I was couting on the under-tank filter to avoid having the pipes over the back of the tank as I'm not having a backing on, perhaps I could get an internal filter just to boost filtration, then again maybe the 205 will be adequate anyway lol.

Could you just explain what the bulkhead is on the filter? Just out of interest. :)

Cheers.

Hi mate, the bulkhead is the parts which go around the hole drilled in the tank. Then the filter pipes connect onto that.

Anyways, an internal would be fine, fluval do a range of them as well, the fluval + range are very reliable.

Dont forget the pics when you get the tank :good:

Adam

Unfortunalty not, If you buy a tank that comes with a 105 or 205, the bulkhead and pipes are 12mm. If you buy a tank with a 305 or 405 it will come with 16mm hoses. So unfomrtunatly, you wont be able to use a 305 on a 12mm connection.

How about running the 205 through the plumbing system and getting another 205 / 305 and just run the hoses over the rim like usuall??

Is it not possible to get a couple of 12mm to 16mm converters? So you would have a small piece of 12mm pipe from the tank fittings, going into the converters, then 16mm pipes coming out of the converters into the larger filter?

Hi mate, the bulkhead is the parts which go around the hole drilled in the tank. Then the filter pipes connect onto that.

Anyways, an internal would be fine, fluval do a range of them as well, the fluval + range are very reliable.

Adam

Yeah I'm considering doing a journal of the tank but I'm away from home most of the time, soif not I'll make sure to get plenty up anyway when it's all done.

Cheers! :)

Is it not possible to get a couple of 12mm to 16mm converters? So you would have a small piece of 12mm pipe from the tank fittings, going into the converters, then 16mm pipes coming out of the converters into the larger filter?

Not really as it would restrict the flow from the canister filter, so if you fitted a 305 with a connection, the flow would probably be restricted to that of what the 305 would pump. Rendering the 305 useless.

Plus, there is the risk with playing around with a drilled tank of a leak and the water just draining all over the floor.

Adam

Yeah I'm considering doing a journal of the tank but I'm away from home most of the time, soif not I'll make sure to get plenty up anyway when it's all done.

Cheers! :)

Hi, a journal would be great!! Anyways , look forward to pics!

Although this topic is a month old, I just wanted to add a clarification (well, a rebuttal really) based on my experience.

You can do exactly as the original poster asked. In fact, I replaced the Fluval 205, which came with my tank, with a 405 in exactly this manner.

Although the boxed retail versions of the 105/205 and 305/405 are supplied with different ribbed hosing (14.5mm and 17mm diameter, part numbers A-20014 and A-20015 respectively) only one type of hose is supplied with the Fluval Vicenza/Venezia tanks irrespective of the filter model. (The Vicenza 180/Venezia 190 models come with a 205; the Vicenza 260 comes with a 305; and the Venezia 350 comes with a 405.)

The part number of the supplied hose is A-20012 (as stated on p32 of the manual). Unfortunately, I do not know the diameter of this hose since apparently Hagen no longer made/stocked it even when I purchased the tank (May 2007) - although I notice that the German website lists it as being available (but provides no further detail). Additionally, there is only one model of AquaStop Valve (A-20060) which joins the pipe-work to the head of the filter.

Obviously, I can't make a claim regarding the suitability of the hose for the purpose but I can say that if you take a Vicenza 180 or Venezia 190 and replace the head/body of the 205 with a 305 or 405, it will be exactly as supplied with the Vicenza 260 or Venezia 350 respectively.

This was confirmed to me by Hagen's customer service.

-dan

Although this topic is a month old, I just wanted to add a clarification (well, a rebuttal really) based on my experience.

You can do exactly as the original poster asked. In fact, I replaced the Fluval 205, which came with my tank, with a 405 in exactly this manner.

Although the boxed retail versions of the 105/205 and 305/405 are supplied with different ribbed hosing (14.5mm and 17mm diameter, part numbers A-20014 and A-20015 respectively) only one type of hose is supplied with the Fluval Vicenza/Venezia tanks irrespective of the filter model. (The Vicenza 180/Venezia 190 models come with a 205; the Vicenza 260 comes with a 305; and the Venezia 350 comes with a 405.)

The part number of the supplied hose is A-20012 (as stated on p32 of the manual). Unfortunately, I do not know the diameter of this hose since apparently Hagen no longer made/stocked it even when I purchased the tank (May 2007) - although I notice that the German website lists it as being available (but provides no further detail). Additionally, there is only one model of AquaStop Valve (A-20060) which joins the pipe-work to the head of the filter.

Obviously, I can't make a claim regarding the suitability of the hose for the purpose but I can say that if you take a Vicenza 180 or Venezia 190 and replace the head/body of the 205 with a 305 or 405, it will be exactly as supplied with the Vicenza 260 or Venezia 350 respectively.

This was confirmed to me by Hagen's customer service.

-dan

Major bump, sorry!

When you say head/body of the filter, what exactly do you mean? I was looking at the hosing in my LFS yesterday and noticed that the grey rubber connectors are identical, only the actual ribbed hosing section is wider on the 3/405 piping. Which to me seems to indicate that it'd fit regardless.

I've looked through the instruction manual that came with the tank myself, and found that all the connectors for the filter i.e. the outlet/inlet tubes, ribbed hosing and the aquastop/connecting valve are the same for all the X05 series filters. Anyone got any thoughts about this and if my idea may work?

I upgraded the 205 that comes with the Fluval Vicenza 180 to a 305 with no problem. No change of pipes needed.

Just the main filter body. Left the tap unit attached to the hoses.

Just the main filter body. Left the tap unit attached to the hoses.

Excellent, no problems then? I assume that the wider hose that comes with the 3/405 would fit anyway as the grey connectors are the same diameter.

Most reactions

Back