Catfish?

kimmeh121

Reaction score
Hi guys!! my friend dropped of this fish at mine today,she got it a couple of days ago from this fella, she said its a catfish but has no idea what, at the moment its housed in my tank for a week or so

its about 8inches

okay so here it is, sorry about the quality of the pic.

IMG_0097.jpg

Hi guys!! my friend dropped of this fish at mine today,she got it a couple of days ago from this fella, she said its a catfish but has no idea what, at the moment its housed in my tank for a week or so

its about 8inches

okay so here it is, sorry about the quality of the pic.

IMG_0097.jpg
its a pangasius hypophthalmus also known as a sutchi catfish
grows up to 130cm needs a tank of around 1500gallons

that looks suspiciously like a pangasius (shark catfish) to me if so its gonna be huge and i mean huuuuuge potentially 4 feet long you should get rid asap .

Aaaaah thank you! well just aswell im not keeping it! I'm trying to persuade her not to keep it, her tank is about 8feet really big but still not big enough if you know what i mean.

Aaaaah thank you! well just aswell im not keeping it! I'm trying to persuade her not to keep it, her tank is about 8feet really big but still not big enough if you know what i mean.
8 ft should be big enough it most likely wont reach 130cm in aquarium conditions anyway i think that size might just be wild ones

Yeah to be fair 8 foot is not a bad home for this fish, I mean not 100% ideal but a much better fate than most of these face. I reckon its going to have a good few comfortable years in an 8 foot tank how wide is it? Ideally a 8x3 but 8x2 should still give turning room for a few more years.

8foot should be fine but it depence how long it will live for i was wayching a fishing program last night and he caught one of these that weighed 220lb and was about 4 foot long.

8foot should be fine but it depence how long it will live for i was wayching a fishing program last night and he caught one of these that weighed 220lb and was about 4 foot long.
at 4 foot long it was more than likely a Pangasianodon gigas there the real monsters of the Pangasiidae family

at 4 foot long it was more than likely a Pangasianodon gigas there the real monsters of the Pangasiidae family
fair enough but its still going to get massive :]

Well even so im pretty annoyed at this present time, my friend ( who i said i would look after this fish for ) has decided she doesnt want it back! no idea what she expects me to do with it, i might have the space for it at the moment however not for long! I may need to rehome it, even if that means giving it for free, its just impossible for me to keep it... Im selling my severum and pleco, however even with them gone it wont be enough.... sorry had to let some steam out there

Aww man that is really bad, I mean its not just like leaving a guppy with someone... My usual advice in this situation is to ring all local fish stores and try and see if they are able to take them or if they have any customers that help people rehome big fish. The other option is to get in touch with local public aquariums but thats not too likley they will take them in.

The other option is to try and house them properly at home. I mean I know this isnt a planned thing but do you think you would like that and be able to handle it? If you have a basement you could put in a tropical pond? Which works in a similar way to tropical tank with heating etc but in pond format you can build them up so they have glass panels for you to see in. Just wondering if this is possible?

Wills

Hi, well i have phoned up god knows how many places now, my LFS course they wont take him I mention catfish and its a no no , Theres a really nice garden centre near me who house ponds with kios and have tropical fish also, unfortunatly they wont take it either so im pretty much stuck with him, my partner keeps suggesting to keep him which i wouldnt mind cause he is pretty awesome, if needs be we will have to sort out another tank in the living room, I can fit the size that my friend has (between 7 - 8 Feet ) just wont have ANY idea of what would hold that!!

If you went for a big big tank that would be awesome :) Just go as big as you can and you will have an awesome tank to stock, one thing in mind though you will need to stick with big fish as if you mix this with smaller fish you will hit issues with the smaller being eaten.

With a tank that size you will need a stand specifically made to hold it. Ill get you links in a bit off aquarist classifieds of tank and stand builders. But have a search around on aquarist classifieds (google it) and you might find stuff that will help you out work out how much it will cost.

Wills

Most reactions

Back