Catfish/plecs

danon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just been to my lfs after a Bristlenose catfish to go in my mbuna tank, the guy told me neither a catfish or plec were suitable with the high pH, mine is 8.2. He said they need 7.5 or below.

I am sure ive heard of people on here having the bristlenose with mbuna.

It is just that the tank is looking VERY green. Just taken out all the rock and cleaned it, looks good again, but thought these fish would help clean the glass etc. Is he right or wrong??

Ended up buying 4 Iodotropheus sprengerae, thats what i think they are anyway. Will post some pics when i have time, for your thoughts.

As it happens since adding these new fishes, all the rest have started to come out of hiding and are all swimming happily together.

Other fish are 4 Labidochromis caeruleus
4 Cynotilapia afra white top

As always any help would be much appreciated, Cheers.

Just been to my lfs after a Bristlenose catfish to go in my mbuna tank, the guy told me neither a catfish or plec were suitable with the high pH, mine is 8.2. He said they need 7.5 or below.

I am sure ive heard of people on here having the bristlenose with mbuna.

It is just that the tank is looking VERY green. Just taken out all the rock and cleaned it, looks good again, but thought these fish would help clean the glass etc. Is he right or wrong??

Ended up buying 4 Iodotropheus sprengerae, thats what i think they are anyway. Will post some pics when i have time, for your thoughts.

As it happens since adding these new fishes, all the rest have started to come out of hiding and are all swimming happily together.

Other fish are 4 Labidochromis caeruleus
4 Cynotilapia afra white top

As always any help would be much appreciated, Cheers.

If you wanted catfish you could look at some of the synodontis species, Synodontis Multi and Petrolica are from the african lakes so require a high Ph.
I think petrolica are the smallest and happen to be my favourite :D

BN Plecs are about the only catfish that may help with your algae levels. Syno's tend to work very well with Mbuna but won't touch the algae.

Even though most sites say bn plecs should be kept at a ph of 7.5 or below, they adapt very well in the higher ph that mbuna enjoy. :good:

Most reactions

Back