Catfish Id Help!

simonfa

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive just bought a catfish from a local fish shop but none of the staff could actually tell me what it was and were all a bit baffled as to its origin as it came with a tank one of the staff members bought some years ago.

Its around 6 inches long and has a fairly fat body but any info on this would be great, especially if anyone has prices to hand as im hoping i picked up a bargain! :rolleyes:

ATSA00000.jpg

If you need anymore pictures just shout and any help will be greatly appreciated :good:

Attachments

• ATSA00007.jpg
    ATSA00007.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 59
Looks like a medusa pleco not sure if its another name for a common bristlenose

Its actually laughable that a shop couldnt identify what can basically be classed as one of the easiest catfish to ID. If not one of the easiest fish!

Bristlenose plec alright :lol:

And i wouldnt say "fully grown" that confidently. Mine was 8" when i sold him ;)

Thanks for the info guys, i paid a tenner for the fish, is that an ok price for such a plec? ......

Bristlenoses come under L numbers and you buying it for a tenner is a pretty good deal as i've seen L numbers from £30-£70.

Personal opinion i would say he's a
Ancistrus ranunculus (l34) Rio Xingu
15-20cm
5-7 in PH
26-30^c

If you don't think he's that one give me a shout and i'll get some numbers over to you to google until you find the one that looks most simalar. The trouble it lighting, there are so many different types from a photograph i can't tell if he's slightly blue/green/grey/black with/out spots ect.

Bristlenoses come under L numbers and you buying it for a tenner is a pretty good deal as i've seen L numbers from £30-£70.
That kind of right but the Bristlenose pleco is a common plec in the wild and in captivity. Like the Sailfin Pleco or L001, it is not worth a lot maybe only a few quid or something like £10 for the rarer species like the Medusa Bn Pleco or Whiteseam Bn pleco.
So my point is, not all L number plecos are rare and worth a lot, and in shops, a bristlenose pleco would be around £4 or even less for smaller specimens. If you paid £10 for the bn plec then you really got ripped off

That kind of right but the Bristlenose pleco is a common plec in the wild and in captivity. Like the Sailfin Pleco or L001, it is not worth a lot maybe only a few quid or something like £10 for the rarer species like the Medusa Bn Pleco or Whiteseam Bn pleco.
So my point is, not all L number plecos are rare and worth a lot, and in shops, a bristlenose pleco would be around £4 or even less for smaller specimens. If you paid £10 for the bn plec then you really got ripped off

Wow! The fish store couldn't tell you that it is a male bristlenose pleco! :lol: I've never seen a bristlenose pleco in a fish store. Do you have any driftwood with him? Bristlenose plecos like driftwood.

Most reactions

Back