Catching fast fish

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Anyone found any spectacular tricks for catching Olympic swimmer fish who are impossible to net?

I would love to avoid removing everything from the tank and uprooting all the plants and taking out 80% of the water to catch this guy.

By the time I've taking everything out the water gets all brown from the decomposed almond leaves and I can't see much anyway, it's all such a messy mess!

But if no other tricks are brought forward I'll have to because he's the last one to be moved to another tank and I've never had such a hard time catching 1 endler.

Hello. Use one large net, that's roughly the width of the tank. Of course you do need to remove some of the decorations and such from the tank too.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Thanks everybody. I finally got him super easily when I didn't even expect to. I do think I should get a bigger net. But I took out a big bucket ready to drain the tank then saw him chilling near the top, slowly inserted a small jug and sucked him in with the water. Super easy & unpexected after two days of stress. He's happy now reunited with his buddies. Two nets is a good idea! ☺

. Two nets is a good idea! ☺
Most effective is a coloured 'herder net' which they can see easily and a black 'catcher net' which is less visible to the fish in a corner. Once the fish is in the black net, place the net against the glass so they can't escape then take a breath so that you can then remove the net with fish in a calm and controlled fashion.

I had a cichlid I couldn’t catch no matter what I did so I put a fish trap in the tank and it worked.

If you are chasing a torpedo shaped (or a smaller) fish, consider making a fish trap. I spent almost a year trying to get the last of 5 Flying Fox out of a heavily planted 45 gal. I used the trap on the first 4 with great success over about a week long period. I did catch a few fish I did not want to, but they got released.

Eventual I caught that 5th fish months later by dumb luck. The tank sit behind me when I sit at my desk. I turned around one day and noticed that Fox was sitting inside the clay cave that had been put in for bn plecos. I grabbed a net, got it over the opening and removed the cave with the fish inside. Like I said, dumb luck.

I used a 10 or 12 inch net and had it stationary in the tank against the glass and gravel. I used a 5, 6 or 8 inch net to slowly guide the wanted fish towards the bigger net.

Never chase fish around because you can kill them. If they are being a pain to catch, walk away and try the following day. But 2 nets is the best way to get the fish.

Whats the fish trap?
You cut off the top of a bottle and put it back on inverted to make a fish trap.
1683482749446.jpeg

Use a barricade. corral the fish in say, 25% or less of the tank. I use egg crate grids for larger fish and an expanding window screen for smaller fish. The fit does not have to be exact, angle it in. My apologies if someone already described this method; I’m too lazy to read thru whole threads
IMG_1417.jpeg

Last edited:
The bottle trap is ideal for well planted tanks where the size of the trap needs to be as small as is needed.

You make the trap using a plastic bottle. Usually, a soda bottle (or similar)- 1 or 2 quart size works. What you do is to watch the first 60 seconds of this vid and then close/stop it.

You can do this with an assortment of plastic bottles of different sizes. But, for them all, the opening is the same. There are plastic bottles with wider mouths you can find if needed. So what is next? This is how I do it.

I want to attach the inverted top to the bottle body. I do this by inserting the inverted end into into the bottle as in the vid and I align the edges together. Them I poke three holes around the perimeter which go through both pieces. When the bottle is finally ready to be submerged in the tank, I use three small nylon wire ties to attach the two pieces via the matching holes I punched. I trim the excess off of the tie after pulling it closed. But I leave a bit of slack so that when it is time to open the bottle, I can easily cut the wire ties off.

If you do not have small wire ties, anything similar you can tie would work or use anythin you can come up with as long as it will undo. Use your imagination, just be sure whatever you use is tank safe.

You need to put bait into the bottle to attract the fish. Make sure to use food that the target fish likes. You also need to weight the bottle so it sinks easily and stays in place. Large gravel or a few small rocks work just fine. Once the bottle is loaded, insert the lid and attach it via the holes. Submerge it just above the surface to fill it and then lower it to the bottom of the tank.

Important Considerations
1. Be sure that the bottle is well cleaned and that the label, and any glue involved to hold it in place, are be removed. Also, if there is a colored ring around the neck, remove it.
2. Make sure there is open space in the tank where the bottle can go when placed horizonatally.
3. Be sure the bottle size (after the top is cut off and inserted) can fit in the space you plant to put it.
4. Starve the tank for several days before you put in the trap. This helps to motivate the fish.

Why does this trap work?
It is easy for the torpedo shaped fish to fit in the opening. It just follows the "smell" in. A fish can clamp it's fins, so even a "fatter" fish can still enter (up to a point). But when it comes to getting out the problem is the bottle is clear, so for the fish finding the exit and getting properly aligned to execute an exit from the bottle is quite difficult. There is no scent trail to help.

However, every now an then a fish does get lucky and makes it out. So it helps to monitor the trap several times during the day to reduce the odds of this happening before you can pull the bottle with the fish inside.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back