Cat Fish Id Please

cosworthlady

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've tried before to ID my 17 year old (at least) cat fish. Don't go mad at me about the state of his fin. He came to me like that in 1997 when his previous owner gave up the hobby. He is 5" long. Very very fast and lively. Loves to eat flake and bloodworm but not fussed for cucumber. He plays football with it all night instead. You see the cucumber slice going up and down the tank in the dark like an old fashioned ping pong computer game LOL. He is very aggressive which I expect anyway. He hides in his drain pipes for most of the day but if he sniffs food he comes storming out to find it, grabs it and takes it back into his pipe!! He's got it down to a fine art. makes a right mess but no one is perfect are they? He moves so fast its almost impossible to catch a photo of him. This one is my most successful. As you can see he has teeny weeny black spots everywhere not just on his body. His belly is a shade lighter than his top and has the same spots. He's only 5" so I've discounted a few suggestions. Please please help me ID him. I think at 17 somebody should know what he is :)

Attachments

• ABCD0004 (Medium).JPG
    ABCD0004 (Medium).JPG
    97 KB · Views: 68
I would say 95% certain to be a Mochokidae, maybe an Euchilichthys royauxi or one of the Synos?

he's an odd one right enough. I've been told he could be a Nigrita or a zanzabarii (sp) Its all due to his size that I get confused.. He does have a large mouth but doesn't suck onto the glass at any time.

Definitely a Synodontis sp. and I'm as positive as i can be that it's not a hybrid. I don't think it's Synodontis zambezensis, and definitely not Synodontis nigrita as the body shape and adipose fin are different.
It's difficult without the dorsal fin to be sure, and if it is only 5" that does discount a fair amount as most of them get to over that size. How are you measuring him? Is it tip of nose to end of tail (TL)? or tip of nose to the point where the body meets the tail (caudal) fin (SL)? I'm not doubting, but the platy above must be at least 1" - to me he looks like at least 7-8" TL.
I first thought maybe Synodontis acanthomias, but I think the spots are wrong. Another thought was Synodontis cf multimaculata but this is so rarely imported, it seems unlikely.
Can I suggest you either post the picture over at PlanetCatfish as there are a few syno experts there, or if you don't want to join, grant me permission to post the image for you.
I'm not saying it won't get ID'd here, but the more people see it, the more chance it has of finally getting an ID.
Martin

Definitely a Synodontis sp. and I'm as positive as i can be that it's not a hybrid. I don't think it's Synodontis zambezensis, and definitely not Synodontis nigrita as the body shape and adipose fin are different.
It's difficult without the dorsal fin to be sure, and if it is only 5" that does discount a fair amount as most of them get to over that size. How are you measuring him? Is it tip of nose to end of tail (TL)? or tip of nose to the point where the body meets the tail (caudal) fin (SL)? I'm not doubting, but the platy above must be at least 1" - to me he looks like at least 7-8" TL.
I first thought maybe Synodontis acanthomias, but I think the spots are wrong. Another thought was Synodontis cf multimaculata but this is so rarely imported, it seems unlikely.
Can I suggest you either post the picture over at PlanetCatfish as there are a few syno experts there, or if you don't want to join, grant me permission to post the image for you.
I'm not saying it won't get ID'd here, but the more people see it, the more chance it has of finally getting an ID.
Martin

Hi Martin. I think I may have put a post on that other forum a year or so back but I'd be grateful if you could too. He's definitely only 5" from nose to tip of tail. The fish way at the back of the tank is a sword tail who is at least 1 and a half inches long. The perspective of the photo makes the syno look bigger. I wish I knew what his fin looked like too. If it means anything it doesn't look like it would have been a soft long flowing one. The bits that remain are solid as a rock. I don't know if his habits will help identify him. He loves to burrow caves under things. He's not happy until he's organised the tank HIS way and under his pipes he has dug holes big enough for him to swim right under. I'm ever so fond of him and his humpty ways (he hates water changes and will do his best to chase the syphon tube away). I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ann

Ann
Its been possibly identified as Syndontis njassae (small spot var), which as you will see from the link, that it is actually a fish from Lake Malawi and ideal conditions are hard water. The discussion on it's ID seems to have opened up, so i'll post back if anything is confirmed - if you are interested the ID request topic is HERE.
Regards
Martin

This is sounding more and more like it. Apart from the size. I've read that they are 7" long. Maybe this one is stunted?

Synodontis njassae

This is the only member of its genus native to Lake Malawi, and while it isn’t particularly widely traded, this species is popular with aquarists keeping Malawian cichlids. It is hardy and robust, but if combined with the more aggressive Mbuna, it’s likely to spend all its time hiding, so choose companions with care. Labidochromis, Iodotropheus, Aulonocara and the less aggressive mbuna make good tankmates. On the other hand, these catfish are effective predators on eggs and fry, so shouldn’t be kept in tanks where breeding the cichlids is important.

Juveniles are essentially silvery-green with numerous dark grey spots, but the size of the spots and their density is highly variable. As the fish mature their overall colour becomes much darker, more silvery-brown.

Forget the fish, im intrigued by your username! Is it related to a type of lovely vehicle by any chance?

Forget the fish, im intrigued by your username! Is it related to a type of lovely vehicle by any chance?

It is indeed LOL. I confess I like my Cossies. I am owned by a 24v 2.9L Granada Cosworth. Like poop off a shovel. :)

I have not forgotten. He's just so damned awkward to get hold of. I'll try my best. I'll maybe even grab a film of him if I'm lucky enough and put that on youtube. that be any good?

at last! I have a picture. Any thoughts anyone. Will go to the other forum too.

try again lol

Attachments

• Image010-001.jpg
    Image010-001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 69

Most reactions

Back