🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Montydog

Reaction score
hey guys/gals

i will be getting either a 3 or 2ft tank
lighting will be 4X39w t5 for 3ft or 4X24w t5 for 2ft
Fluval 205 canister filter
Eco- complete substrate
Seachem flourish and trace liquid ferts. DIY CO2 and a glass diffuser will be used aswell.

I would be glad to grow a glosso carpet, or hairgrass carpet or both
other plants will be simple:java fern, anubias, fontialias etc

do you think that the glosso carpet/hairgrass will work??!

thanks in advance

im a plant noob but to me that looks like more than enough to grow those from what ive read

Too much you could say.
With that much light, there's no way DIY CO2 could keep up. You'd be over run with algae.
Two t8 bulbs would be enough for your needs. DIY CO2 might be ok then, especially if you also dose liquid carbon.
If CO2 or carbon is going to be used, then you also have to dose macro nutrients which you havnt mentioned.
Water changes also need to be large and weekly.

To much.... I thought the general rule was 3w per gallon to grow a carpet, but I do agree with you guys it seemed like alot to me! So the lights I mentioned, Eco complete, and liquid ferts without diy co2 would be fine or still to much??

Thanks

highlight is a bit of a myth, you don't need any specific wpg to grow a carpet. You need better flow, C02 and the right ferts. As Long as the C02 and nutrients are getting down to the carpet there shouldn't be a problem. As RadaR mentioned, you have to have a look at using nitrogen and phosphates, once you get into the realms of C02. You'd still be looking at more of a stable source of C02 with the lighting. You may end up with more algae problems due to the fluctuating C02 produced by the yeast based stuff.

Most reactions

Back