Cardinal Tetras

nightlite

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got 9 cardinal tetras in my planted tank with a ph 6.6 and 0 nitrate and KH of 5... but the red stripe on all 9 seem to be patchy or faded???? Am I doing something wrong???

Hi all,

I got 9 cardinal tetras in my planted tank with a ph 6.6 and 0 nitrate and KH of 5... but the red stripe on all 9 seem to be patchy or faded???? Am I doing something wrong???
i dont think so, they seem to lose the red stripe when stressed after moving.also in the morning after lights on,their stripes tend to be fadeing aswell,nothing to worry about,unless its all the time but thats unlikely.keep an eye on they and they will soon settle down.
p.s just curious,why you got 9,in all the fish shops ive been in they are sold in either 5's or 10's.not a problem like,im just nosey

Hi all,

i dont think so, they seem to lose the red stripe when stressed after moving.also in the morning after lights on,their stripes tend to be fadeing aswell,nothing to worry about,unless its all the time but thats unlikely.keep an eye on they and they will soon settle down.
p.s just curious,why you got 9,in all the fish shops ive been in they are sold in either 5's or 10's.not a problem like,im just nosey

9? well it's a fung suei thing... lucky number :)

Its normal for tetras to have faded colors. When they go into hibernation they fade but the colors come back a short while later, once you turn on the lights.

Hi all,

... ph 6.6 and 0 nitrate and KH of 5...

What is your ammonia and nitrite?

How long has the tank been running?

How long have you had them?

err err ammonia... I don't have a tester for that... I'm sorry to say I haven't bought it yet... as those are my first fishes after the 3 otos i got earlier... that goes for the nitrite too......

the tank has been running for about a month... but nitrate (NO2) is 0 thou... I used a bactirial starter..(couldn't wait for nature)

I've had the 9 cardinals for about 5 days...

Even when the lights come back on... the red stripes are still faint and patchy..

err err ammonia... I don't have a tester for that... I'm sorry to say I haven't bought it yet... as those are my first fishes after the 3 otos i got earlier... that goes for the nitrite too......

the tank has been running for about a month... but nitrate (NO2) is 0 thou... I used a bactirial starter..(couldn't wait for nature)

I've had the 9 cardinals for about 5 days...

Even when the lights come back on... the red stripes are still faint and patchy..

You need to get an ammonia and nitrite test kit as they are far more important than nitrates. The fact that your nitrates are 0 is actually not a good sign as it means you haven't begun to cycle. Fish create ammonia which gets converted to nitrites which gets converted to nitrates. That is the 'cycle'. If you have no nitrates it probably means you still have ammonia and nitrites which are more toxic to fish than nitrates. Oh, and those bacterial starters don't really work that well in general.

You need to get an ammonia and nitrite test kit as they are far more important than nitrates. The fact that your nitrates are 0 is actually not a good sign as it means you haven't begun to cycle. Fish create ammonia which gets converted to nitrites which gets converted to nitrates. That is the 'cycle'. If you have no nitrates it probably means you still have ammonia and nitrites which are more toxic to fish than nitrates. Oh, and those bacterial starters don't really work that well in general.

woops!!! I meant my nitrite is 0....sorry I got it mixed up...

Most reactions

Back