Cardinal Tetra got a while little lump

Lalafish

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just got some new cardinals. I noticed one of them got a little white lump on its mouth. Is it something bad and contagious? it likes to be alone sometimes rather than schooling . Can’t really tell if he ate.

Attachments

• F85A0A20-B195-44EB-9CB9-753960D2B1BC.jpeg
    F85A0A20-B195-44EB-9CB9-753960D2B1BC.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 146
What do the rest look like, this fish looks under nourished

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Just got some new cardinals. I noticed one of them got a little white lump on its mouth. Is it something bad and contagious? it likes to be alone sometimes rather than schooling . Can’t really tell if he ate.
Welcome to the forum! :) I'm not really sure what's wrong but I know other members will probably ask for this info. What size tank do you have? What is your current stocking? What are your water parameters? Is your tank cycled? I hope you are able to get a solution for the problem.

Welcome to the forum! :) I'm not really sure what's wrong but I know other members will probably ask for this info. What size tank do you have? What is your current stocking? What are your water parameters? Is your tank cycled? I hope you are able to get a solution for the problem.
Thanks for your reply. It’s actually a new tank and I got a batch of five to start with. Took the water to the shop for a test and it was all fine. I noticed the white spot on this tetra as soon as I brought it home. So I think it has nothing to do with my tank. Should I quarantine this fish ?

My tank is 35L

looks like that awful virus that affects neons and cardinals. Take it back and swap it for a healthy one. Chances are they all have the virus but get a healthy one anyway.

looks like that awful virus that affects neons and cardinals. Take it back and swap it for a healthy one. Chances are they all have the virus but get a healthy one anyway.
What does this disease called again?
it's seems to happen in Cardinal and neons quite a lot.

Thanks. Will do so. Hope the other fishes were not affected .

What does this disease called again?
it's seems to happen in Cardinal and neons quite a lot.
no idea what it's called but I'm pretty sure it's a virus. It's fairly new to me and appears to have started popping up in the last 10 years.

Just one more question guys ! Shall I cycle the water after replacing a new tetra ?

Just one more question guys ! Shall I cycle the water after replacing a new tetra ?
Not sure what you mean, it isn't the water we cycle, it's the tank itself. Cycling a tank means creating the right conditions to grow nitrifying bacteria that will process the fish waste and make it safe for the fish (the ammonia that fish produce is highly toxic to them, and only dilution and these bacteria make it safe for them). These bacteria don't live in the water, they live in the filter media, on the substrate, the tank walls, plants and decor. They attach themselves to surfaces, they don't free float in the water.

It's better to cycle the tank without fish in it, since fish less cycling involves having high levels of ammonia in the tank for a while. A fish in cycle is more dangerous since it needs constant monitoring to prevent ammonia and nitrites rising to the point of killing fish, which usually means daily testing and water changes so you don't lose your entire stock. It's pretty rough for a beginner to be doing that for weeks, and often involves several fish deaths.

How did you prepare the tank before adding fish?
Are you going to be returning all of the fish? Or just this one?

Most reactions

Back