• carbon

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • no carbon

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive always thought a filter should have carbon, however im hearing alot lately that people are not adding carbon and only using bio media and a water polishing sponge to clean their water. Well im wondering what everyone on here is doing. If you have time, add a explanation either way!

Carbon is one form of chemical filtration, by which the carbon adsorbs [not absorbs] substances in the water.  Depending upon the amount, and the substances it is adsorbing, it can become saturated at some point, fairly quickly.  It then needs to be replaced.  I don't believe it is possible to "clean" it but I will be corrected if this is wrong.  Once it is no longer performing the chemical aspect, it can remain as just biological media.  Some have said it can release toxins back into the water, but here again I will leave it for the experts to confirm or deny.

There are some situations when using carbon can benefit.  Removing medications after treatment, removing tannins (somewhat, obviously if heavy these will quickly overwhelm the carbon), etc.  In other cases, there are varying views.  It is somewhat detrimental in planted tanks, as it removes DOC (dissolved organic carbons) along with various other plant nutrients.  It is best to let the plants do the filtration, as they will be healthier themselves and do the job better and longer.

I haven't used carbon in my tanks for years; can't remember the last time, it was 20+ years ago I think.  All my tanks have plants of some sort, including floating.

Byron.

The only time I have had carbon in this tank was when I was madicating the tank and had to remove the medication when I was done treating it. Also I have read that if you dose fertilizer that the carbon will remove it before the plants have a chance to use it. 

When I first started fish keeping I was advised to take all carbon out and replace it with sponge media. I only use carbon ifnive dosed medication.

I use a carbon sponge in my new tank because it takes about 7 different types of filter sponge at once, but once the carbon stops working I intend to leave it in just as a biological filter medium.

I keep a bag of carbon, just in case, but I don't use it on a day to day basis. Pretty much for the reasons the other posters have given.

Do keep in mind that carbon will not remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

Use as needed. But in some situations this can mean all the time. Here is an interesting article on using carbon by Dr. Timothy Hovanec, the microbiologist who identified the nitrifying bacteria in tanks. He discusses what activated carbon is and what the benefits are etc. I will offer this one short quote from the paper;

The reasons given for not using carbon or not using it continuously include: the carbon causes some diseases, it removes beneficial elements/substances for the water, and eventually the carbon will de-adsorb everything killing the tank inhabitants. None of these reasons have ever been supported by experiments or tests. Rather, they are myths. And as myths, they circulate through the hobby growing a life of their own which becomes hard to kill.
from http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/library-presentations/aquarium-hobby/activated-carbon

I will say that I do not use carbon regularly. This is as much an economic decision as anything else since at the peak I ran 20 tanks. However, I find it most helpful when I get the occasional "oily film" on the water surface or that sort of smokey film as well. I also may run it for the first few weeks of a new tank being set up.

Oh yes regarding carbon and plants. here is what Tom Barr wrote on 08-28-2011 in a thread on the subject on the plantedtank.net:

ADA uses it and suggests, it, it must work right? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 
sad2.gif
sad2.gif
??

Penac etc questions.........gets much much more press, the basic stuff, water changes, how to scape and prune, carbon in the start etc..........
sad2.gif
??

Nope.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Carbon is not a bad idea, removes organic fraction well, this includes many decaying plant products, and as it ages, with high porosity......ends up nice biomedia.

I use it mostly for color, but see no reason NOT to use it in the start up.....or to remove color if you do not want to do another water change etc.
Zeolite is good for initial set ups if you use ADA As and need to add fish that week etc.........

Myths: it's detrimental to planted tanks: removes all the Fe, other ferts..............etc.

I am really big on seeing scientists etc. debug some of the most persistent "urban aquarium myths."

Alexp08 said:
What kind of bio media do you guys use?

Mainly live plants.

In my smaller (30g and under) tanks I only use a sponge filter (beyond the plants).  The sponge obviously becomes colonized by bacteria, as will all surfaces under water.  The sponges are rinsed well under the tap every water change.

In larger tanks with a canister filter, I use the ceramic disks in one basket, Fluval's BioMax in the second, and the various filter pads.  I rinse all these under the tap every 2-3 months depending upon the tank, and I never replace the hard media, just the fine (white) pad at every cleaning as trying to wash it usually pulls it apart so it no longer does what it is intended to do and becomes pointless unless replaced.

Byron.

[Wonder what sort of comments this will generate?]

For years I have run a combination of sponges and floss. i am currently in the process of changing things. I am going to Matten filters and using Poret foam only in canisters and in a new sump going up. I am also switching my standard air driven sponges for Poret cubes. Perhaps the two best articles I have read on biofiltration are:
http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/
and
http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/

And if you want to know why the author is eminently qualified to know what he is taking about, it can be found here http://www.swisstropicals.com/about-us/ But I am biased. I have exchanged emails with Dr Tanner for the past few years and got to meet and chat with him at CatCon last October. Whatis  even more amazing to me is what he does for his regular "job."

I learned my lesson early on regarding carbon floss...it caused my young tank to cycle when it saturated after a month and I swapped it out. Never used it since. Carbon sponge would be okay, though.

Byron said:
What kind of bio media do you guys use?

Mainly live plants.

In my smaller (30g and under) tanks I only use a sponge filter (beyond the plants).  The sponge obviously becomes colonized by bacteria, as will all surfaces under water.  The sponges are rinsed well under the tap every water change.

In larger tanks with a canister filter, I use the ceramic disks in one basket, Fluval's BioMax in the second, and the various filter pads.  I rinse all these under the tap every 2-3 months depending upon the tank, and I never replace the hard media, just the fine (white) pad at every cleaning as trying to wash it usually pulls it apart so it no longer does what it is intended to do and becomes pointless unless replaced.

Byron.

I thought if you ran your media under a tap it would kill the bacteria? I run mines in old tank water.

[Wonder what sort of comments this will generate?]

yes i was also under the impression that washing media under tap water would kill the bacteria. i rinse them out with water after a water change. 

Alexp08 said:
yes i was also under the impression that washing media under tap water would kill the bacteria. i rinse them out with water after a water change. 

This is what was behind my square bracketed question.
wahey.gif

Seriously...yes, chlorinated tap water will kill all (or most) bacteria.  But in an established tank, this has no pertinence.  After 25+ years of doing this, I wouldn't have thriving fish if it did.

There are nitrifying bacteria everywhere in the aquarium.  And I also mentioned live plants.  Dr. Neale Monks has written that there will be more nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria in the substrate of an established healthy aquarium than in the filter.  As I frequently say, one can have a thriving planted aquarium with fish that has no filter at all.

One has to keep everything in context.  I said that live plants are my prime filtration.  My filters are there only to keep the water clear and provide current, which for me are the benefits of a filter.

Byron.

So lets flip this up, what about non planted tanks? carbon yes or no?

Most reactions

Back