Carbon In My Filter ?

flynn_boy

Reaction score
I've got a tetratec EX700 running my 150l marine set up. One of the fish has white spot which i am treating using trimarin, the guy where I got the fish from reminded me to make sure I took the carbon media out of the filter otherwise it would just absorb the medicine. He then went onto say that its best to leave the carbon media out on a permanent basis.

So....im after your thoughts really...... do I keep it out permanently or not :crazy:

I've got a tetratec EX700 running my 150l marine set up. One of the fish has white spot which i am treating using trimarin, the guy where I got the fish from reminded me to make sure I took the carbon media out of the filter otherwise it would just absorb the medicine. He then went onto say that its best to leave the carbon media out on a permanent basis.

So....im after your thoughts really...... do I keep it out permanently or not :crazy:

i would only put it in if I had a problem that could be solved by carbon - I would then take it out as it will become a nitrate factory without careful, regular cleaning

Seffie x

:fish:

There is a lot of debate on the benefits of using carbon in a marine tank (though I have seen little in the way of actual testing done to back up either side of the argument).

I have heard it said that carbon in a SW environment only works for a few days before it needs to be replaced but I have never seen anything to back this up.

Personally I don't use it at all and if you have a decent skimmer you definitely don't need it as they basically do the same thing (remove dissolved organic compounds). that being said though carbon will remove things like medications and some chemicals from the water that a skimmer wont so can still have its uses.

So basically it works and it wont hurt to use it but you have to make sure its replaced regularly.

Most reactions

Back