Carbon Filters

dudeboy2k6

Reaction score
I've got a rekord 96 tank, which has a carbon filter in it. I've been told that its best not to have it in by the local fish shop.

Has any one got any opinions on this??

I use some in my filter, but not all carbon. I have one where you put different cartriges in it: sponge, carbon, then mechanical stuff. I wouldn't reccomend all carbon because it would remove many nutrients in your tank. It makes medications useless as well.

carbon filter sponges are good for removing meds. sadly the general thought among fishkeeprs is, its not good for much else. i would remove the sponge and add another bio section.

carbon filter sponges are good for removing meds. sadly the general thought among fishkeeprs is, its not good for much else. i would remove the sponge and add another bio section.

Thanks for yours and every ones advice, I will take out carbon and try another bio section

Thanks for yours and every ones advice, I will take out carbon and try another bio section

Do you have Carbon as part of your filter setup, with normal filter wool as well. If so, i'd keep the Carbon in. I always use Carbon in my filter, apart from when I am using Meds, because I think it helps with cloudy water, odours and the general look of the tank water. It may be all in my head but i'm gonna stick with it. :drool:

Do you have Carbon as part of your filter setup, with normal filter wool as well. If so, i'd keep the Carbon in. I always use Carbon in my filter, apart from when I am using Meds, because I think it helps with cloudy water, odours and the general look of the tank water. It may be all in my head but i'm gonna stick with it. :drool:

yes indeed, and your approach is valid. however the general consensus is. that carbon, though useful, should be used with care, and in most cases, only for short periods.

i am far from convinced by either case, but choose caution, and till real evidence, is found. i will follow the advice of much more experienced keepers. its worth remembering that carbon filtered water, will take your fish some time to acclimatise to. many things in tap water are removed, making it very different stuff. lol that said if i am going to do some photographs of my tank, i pop a little pico filter in, filled with carbon. 12 to 24 hours later the water is like glass. then i throw the used carbon away.

Most reactions

Back