Can't escape from the hobby

cvikcangle

Reaction score
After a couple of years without an aquarium I'm back.
Got myself Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15, 57L tank, to be used as a planted tank.
It includes some dragon stone and driftwood on a Master Soil Black - Super Powder substrate.
Currently there is Ambulia and some other foxtail plant, some grass and java moss on a driftwood with Anubias still in quarantine.
Filter is mainly stock (a sock, some sponges, bio-balls) and a (big) bag of Sera Siporax (just because I had it around).
Stock pump Hidom AP-1500 (1000L/h) is replaced with less noisy and more civilised 600L/h.

Tap water is very soft, ph7, and ph in the tank after two weeks is 6.8.

Hello. You're really going to be limited on what you can safely keep in such a small tank. Maybe, you could have a few small Tetras or some Guppies. Can't think of much else that would be small enough to live long term in such a small environment.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

CPD or ember tetras could work and cherry shrimp. Not sure about the substrate for shrimp. FWIW my 57l cube came with a 600l/h pump and that was way too powerful. I replaced it with a 300 and then still turned it down to the minimum setting

Hello. You're really going to be limited on what you can safely keep in such a small tank. Maybe, you could have a few small Tetras or some Guppies. Can't think of much else that would be small enough to live long term in such a small environment.
Hello :) True, this tank is, well, nano. Idea is to have plants only and a few MTS. Maybe in time some shrimps. But definitely not fish.
However, I'm curious, what would you consider a normal sized tank and why? Also what type of fish would you put in only one tank? IMHO if a fish cannot breed normally in a tank without any help, then the size and environment isn't right.

CPD or ember tetras could work and cherry shrimp. Not sure about the substrate for shrimp. FWIW my 57l cube came with a 600l/h pump and that was way too powerful. I replaced it with a 300 and then still turned it down to the minimum setting
Thanks for the info! I was really curious about the pump and that was my concern - should I switch to something like 100L/h. When I got the tank I was curious about that 1000L/h pump, and when I turned it on with substrate - it was like a tornado and substrate was moving all over the place. I had one 600L/h pump in a drawer so I used it, min setting, but I'm about to get some DC up to 400L/h pump and make controller by myself to control it programmatically. Just for fun :)

I never used this substrate, but it's stated "ideal for shrimps". So, if I put anything other than MTS it will be cherry shrimps. I would put about 10 and then leave them be and decide what number is appropriate for them. I'm worrying about ph and mineral composition of water though.

Welcome to our forum... :hi:
Well, there are lots of smaller fish that are okay in a smaller tank such as yours...

So, if I put anything other than MTS it will be cherry shrimps. I would put about 10 and then leave them be and decide what number is appropriate for them. I'm worrying about ph and mineral composition of water though.
Let them figure it out for themselves. Unlike some livebearers their population won't grow out of control. I added 10 to my tank 4-5 years ago. The population fluctuates and by the end of summer there can be over 100 and there are shrimps everywhere. Then it all slows down for winter (even though I don't change the temp). Once the tank gets to a certain level they just seem to stop, even if breeding conditions are perfect. As the level drops they start up the cycle again. They can live in a pretty big range (my water is soft and slightly acidic. Most important thing is they are sensitive to dirty water.

Most reactions

Back