Can't Clear Water

Fishman0203

Reaction score
Hey, i have a 125 gallon aquarium which has been running for about 5-6 months now so it has already been through the nitrogen cycle. I have a fluval g6 running for a while but i got a larger fluval fx5 last week because my water clarity is awful. It has no nitrite, minimal nitrate, ammonia but the ph is high because it's a cichlid tank. Over the span of time, the water's changed from clear to greenish foggy, back to clear and now to a white foggyness. any ideas how to finally get the water clear?

Inhabitants
1 sm needle nose gar
1 sm tiger shovelnose catfish
2 sm oscars
4 common plecos
2 sm jewl chiclids
1 md zebra african chiclid
2 md firemouths
2 sm green terrors
1 sm ruby peacock chiclid
1 sm ahil chiclid
2 lrg annoying spotted rapheal catfish

Fishman0203 said:
Hey, i have a 125 gallon aquarium which has been running for about 5-6 months now so it has already been through the nitrogen cycle. I have a fluval g6 running for a while but i got a larger fluval fx5 last week because my water clarity is awful. It has no nitrite, minimal nitrate, ammonia but the ph is high because it's a cichlid tank. Over the span of time, the water's changed from clear to greenish foggy, back to clear and now to a white foggyness. any ideas how to finally get the water clear?

Inhabitants
1 sm needle nose gar
1 sm tiger shovelnose catfish
2 sm oscars
4 common plecos
2 sm jewl chiclids
1 md zebra african chiclid
2 md firemouths
2 sm green terrors
1 sm ruby peacock chiclid
1 sm ahil chiclid

How long has the white foggyness been there. I had a similar problem that turned out to be a bacterial bloom that occurred shortly after I agitated the substrate a fair bit.

That's a lot of fish for a 125 gall with only 1 external fx5 m8. Iv got a 120 gal rio 400 with a mini dovii cichlid which will grow to 12 inch (was sold to me as a mini, could be a normal in which case will grow to 2 foot+) and an orange spotted plec (grows to 6 inch) and that's it. I too run an fx5. Common plecs will get upwards of 15 inch, oscars grow roughly an inch per month as go onto roughly 12-14 inches, green terrors - around 9 inch+ juwels are smaller but very terratorial and that shovel nose will get huge. Not sure about the rest but u will definitely need to re home most of them sooner rather than later. You may have already known this at that may of been your plan though :)

I know you have a cichlid tank, but its really only mbuna who prefer a high pH. Most the fish you have prefer 7.2-7.6

As for the cloudiness, it seems to be a problem with the amount of fish versus tank space/filtration. Definitely up the filtration as it cant seem to keep up with the mess.

Inhabitants
1 sm needle nose gar
1 sm tiger shovelnose catfish (will get way too big)
2 sm oscars (is more than enough fish for a 125g when full grown)
4 common plecos (way to many. 1 is more that enough for a 125g tank)
2 sm jewl chiclids (do best in a species tank. Will kill or attack any fish, regardless of size)
1 md zebra african chiclid (not compatible as most the fish are SA cichlids, not african)
2 md firemouths (oscars may eat them)
2 sm green terrors (May eat everything else)
1 sm ruby peacock chiclid (unsure)
1 sm ahil chiclid (unsure)

I know you have a cichlid tank, but its really only mbuna who prefer a high pH. Most the fish you have prefer 7.2-7.6

As for the cloudiness, it seems to be a problem with the amount of fish versus tank space/filtration. Definitely up the filtration as it cant seem to keep up with the mess.
+1
Inhabitants
1 sm needle nose gar
2 sm jewl chiclids (do best in a species tank. Will kill or attack any fish, regardless of size)
1 md zebra african chiclid (not compatible as most the fish are SA cichlids, not african)

Inhabitants
1 sm needle nose gar
Nicely put :)

i am new to fish tanks (3 and a half months now)and i had this problem i tryed doing larg water changes every week but it did not work then i lost a fisk so i took all of my bogwood out of the tank to scrub it clean then i noticed all the fish poo was going under the bogwood i mean there was loads so now i take all the things out of the tank but not the plants and then suck up all the poo at least once a month with 2 weekley 25% water changes and now i do not have the white cloudyness it is worth a try

Most reactions

Back