Canister Filter Question

poconoboss

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When I turn off my filter (Fluval 405) while doing water changes and I turn it back on, all is fine.

However, when I change my media etc. and I proceed to restart the filter using the self priming feature, when it restarts and proceeds to push out any air in the hoses, it blows out all kinds of debris through the return hose and nozzle.

Is there junk built up in my hoses that I need to clean out?

When I turn off my filter (Fluval 405) while doing water changes and I turn it back on, all is fine.

However, when I change my media etc. and I proceed to restart the filter using the self priming feature, when it restarts and proceeds to push out any air in the hoses, it blows out all kinds of debris through the return hose and nozzle.

Is there junk built up in my hoses that I need to clean out?

Happens to me too. Just from fiddling around in the baskets and loosening any internal debris. once it starts and the initial gunk spits out, all's fine. Never hurts to clean the intake/output tubes tho.
cheers!

Well, no, it's just that the air is disloging all the bio-film in the return pipe and nozzle, that's built up in the ribbs :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Well, no, it's just that the air is disloging all the bio-film in the return pipe and nozzle, that's built up in the ribbs :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks, I forgot about the ribbing. That's must be where the junk is coming from.

Yep, that's the con of ribbed hosing on fluvals, that and it doesn't look as nice as clear tubing (like on tetratecs).

Pro is that it doesn't kink.

I just put a net over the outflow when I restart it, catches all the dirt.

If you want, you can change to clear hose from B&+Q for a few pounds :good:.

You can also get green eheim hose from the LFS, but IMO it looks a bit naff unless you can cover it up with plants :fun: .

Yep, that's the con of ribbed hosing on fluvals, that and it doesn't look as nice as clear tubing (like on tetratecs).

Pro is that it doesn't kink.

I just put a net over the outflow when I restart it, catches all the dirt.

If you want, you can change to clear hose from B&+Q for a few pounds :good:.

You can also get green eheim hose from the LFS, but IMO it looks a bit naff unless you can cover it up with plants :fun: .

Looks do not matter since all my hosing is hid behind my background. I'd rather not change them, I'll just use the net as well. ;)

See...no hoses. :)

473776713_c36mH-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back