Can you ID this fish?

dwalk77

Reaction score
I saw this at the store today, and the rep was busy helping someone else so I didn't get a chance to ask what this fish was.
Any idea what this fish is? The picture doesn't do it justice, but it had a really nice orange color.

1665541162403.png

I have no idea of your knowledge on this species, nor if you have any inclination to acquire this species, but it is a shoaling fish and needs a group of 10 or more. It is a small fish, at just over an inch, so a group of ten needs a tank that is 24 inches/60cm in length minimum.

On the taxonomy, as @Essjay noted, the genus in SF is Celestichthys but this is now deemed incorrect. In the "Notes" SF mentions the 2013 study by Kullander (2013) that split the Danio genus into three sub-clades, and he revalidated the name Celestichthys Roberts 2007 for the group of four species of which the present fish is one. However, more recent work has changed this. Ahmed et al (2013) placed the species back in Danio, and subsequent studies by Kullander himself concurred (Kullander & Britz, 2013 and Kullander & Noren, 2016). I can only find the abstracts online so don't know the facts behind these changes, but given the paramount authority of Kullander in this area it is accepted. So this fish is Danio choprae Hora 1928. When I have a moment I will revise/correct the "Notes" section but the genus search change requires the Admin and for reasons irrelevant is not likely to occur.

I have no idea of your knowledge on this species, nor if you have any inclination to acquire this species, but it is a shoaling fish and needs a group of 10 or more. It is a small fish, at just over an inch, so a group of ten needs a tank that is 24 inches/60cm in length minimum.

On the taxonomy, as @Essjay noted, the genus in SF is Celestichthys but this is now deemed incorrect. In the "Notes" SF mentions the 2013 study by Kullander (2013) that split the Danio genus into three sub-clades, and he revalidated the name Celestichthys Roberts 2007 for the group of four species of which the present fish is one. However, more recent work has changed this. Ahmed et al (2013) placed the species back in Danio, and subsequent studies by Kullander himself concurred (Kullander & Britz, 2013 and Kullander & Noren, 2016). I can only find the abstracts online so don't know the facts behind these changes, but given the paramount authority of Kullander in this area it is accepted. So this fish is Danio choprae Hora 1928. When I have a moment I will revise/correct the "Notes" section but the genus search change requires the Admin and for reasons irrelevant is not likely to occur.
So thanks to Ahmed I've won "the fridge" ?
Last year there was an article in PFK with all kind of species of Danios (known and unknown). Beautiful fish !

So thanks to Ahmed I've won "the fridge" ?
Last year there was an article in PFK with all kind of species of Danios (known and unknown). Beautiful fish !

Yes. This group of cyprinids has been in a state of confusion for several years with respect to the differences within the genera and clades. A few years ago the owner of SF and I worked together to revise dozens of species following the then-most recent reviews of the cyprinids by Fang, Kullander (who corresponded with Matt) and Kottelat (he revised the taxonomy of the entire loach family, not on SF I mean). It was a lot of work and some got left unfinished on SF for reasons I needn't go into. But one has to expect a lot of back and forth in their taxonomy.

Last edited:
I adopted some from a friend who moved last year. He had 3 young LF Zebras Danios, 3 young LF Leopard Danios and 3 Glowlight Danios. All a similar size so I thought the glowlight were a zebra danio variant and assumed they’d be ok in the inherited gang. Their behaviour soon showed they weren’t. IE not charging around the tank like mad things.
The LF gang quickly proved too big and active for the tanks other inhabitants so were given to my local MA. Where their size was marvelled at by the staff.
The glow lights then seemed a lot more relaxed though boring tbh. Once I read it’d take 9+ or so to have them acting normally I had to decide if that was a route I wanted to go down. It wasn’t.
Thankfully the MTS exhibiting son of a neighbour knew someone who already had half a dozen. Result: Everyone lived happily ever after.

Most reactions

Back