can you get red tail catfish x shovel nose catfish

woodie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
we have i catfish what we got from a local fish shop that got sent back when i ate the rest of his tank mates :lol:

now he looks like a red tail except he has spots and a very square nose, he's very lively eats like a pig.

now someone said maybe he's a RTC x TSN now tiger shovel nose catfish have stripes he dosnt he has spots :dunno: he's about 6 inches at mo and still growing quickly

:dunno: any ideas :dunno:

just sent some pics to my computer will put them up whaen there arrive

There are hybrids of RTC/TSN in the hobby, they were originally bred as a fast groing food fish in poorer countries but a few have made it to wholesalers and ornamental fish supliers.

Looks much the same as the only other RTC/TSN hybrid ive ever seen... hope you enjoy your massive predatory catfish! He will need a BIG tank, ideally 6x 2ft minimum.

Ben

6X2 is nowhere near ideal. It is far from uncommon for a hybrid to outgrow both parents which means you should be planning for a fish that will easily hit the 4 foot mark. 10X6 would be a minimum for an adult, and that would need relatively huge filtration.

i have a heated 8 foot x 4 foot pond for him to go in with my RTC , what is located in a poly tunnel, so i have enough space for him just wondered what he was as i have never seen rtc x tsn over here before

the pond is on a koi filter called a kockney what is big enough to filter my koi pond with fish well over 3 foot in it :)

Clare

4 foot? I have never heard of them getting this big but im not too sure tbh..

I was just going on minimum tank specs for RTC/TSN.

It will go very well in your heated pond, i just hope your heating is up to the job :)

Ben

bunjiweb said:
4 foot? I have never heard of them getting this big but im not too sure tbh..

I was just going on minimum tank specs for RTC/TSN.
So was I.

RTC is a minimum of 3 foot often hitting 4 (well past 5 in the wild) and TSN frequently pass 4 feet (again way past 5 in the wild) when fully grown. No-one is really sure on the adult size of the hybrid but it would not be outrageous to plan for a fish that will outgrow it's parents.

That pond sounds a good size (far better than what most end up with). What are you doing for filtration?

the filter will be a kokney 5 bay filter with sponges brushes and alfa grog and K1, wich keeps the water in top notch condition, we have the same filter on our Koi pond what is 3m x 5m what is heated using a heat exchanger what is hooked up to our central heating, controlled by a digi stat.

i think this should cope with RTC and RTCx :/

Clare :kana:

Hmm, not sure if I'd be overly happy about an RTC and a hybrid going in a pond of just 1,000 gallons. They may end up a bit cramped in something that size. :dunno:

I'm not familiar with that filter but I assume it has a capacity of at least 200 gallons or so and as such would do fine. :thumbs:

(At this point Andy's interest in setting up his giant catfish pond is rekindled again. Once he moves there will be a grand project...oh yes B) )

the tank holds 300 gallons thats 1335lts thought this would be plenty big fo a start :dunno: the filter system can handle 4000 gallons (17800 lts )

would have 3kw heater on it what can do 3000 gallons (13350lts)

Clare :)

Most reactions

Back