Can someone identify what my problem is here

Fcbigdave

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone could identify what the issue I have here is.

I have a few female guppies and noticed one had died.

A few days later the fish in the picture attached started acting very lethargic and not eating, and started going limp. I've moved it to the small trap for the time being to isolate from the others. It's now got a stringy excrement coming from it which doesn't seem to break off.

I'm worried I have an outbreak of something here and it could potentially be passed onto the others. I have a breeding trap with guppy fry in also (1-2 week old) which I will be giving away once big enough.

Can anyone suggest the best treatment? I don't know if it's bacterial/fungal or if there is some parasite issue in the tank? I don't want to throw any old meds in to hopefully find the correct one.

I've raised the temperature and also added an air stone. All the water parameters are good 0 ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate is about 10ppm .

Should I consider euthanize the fish to prevent a potential spread to the others. I dont have a second tank to quarantine unfortunately

Or could it just be general old age?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you
IMG_20210104_144313.jpg

Add some salt and read the following link.

-------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Add some salt and read the following link.

-------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.
Hi Colinthanks for the swift reply

Should I best get the salt from local fish store or supermarket rock salt be OK? I have a couple of small clown loaches so I'll keep the dose level low.

Hi @Colin_T just want to thank you for your help. Would have never thought of using salt. After treating the tank, the fish has perked up and is now swimming around as normal albeit a bit thinner than the others. No other casualties so I think the problems gone. Thanks again ??

Most reactions

Back