Can Some One Help Me Please?

portsmouthjoe

Reaction score
im going to start a fishless cycle tomorrow with ammonia :)

just a few quick questions please if any body can help me

ive been doing some reading on the net, and its saying that you have to add either stone from a fully cycled tank or a orniment or some media from the filter is that true?? or can i just use the ammonia??? and not use the other stuff from cycled tanks???? :unsure:

do water changes have to be made why cycleing the tank with ammonia????? :unsure:

do the air pump have to be left on the whole time the filter-tank is being cycled??? :unsure:

its saying add 3-5 drops per gallon,what size dropper????

if anybody could help me out be most appreciated :) :)

I too did a fishless cycle a couple of months ago.. using some Ammonia.. and i started fresh.. no aged water /rocks/filter media or anything.. Just make sure you are through it before you add fish..

Not sure about the air pump.. Might as well leave it on, I don't think it would matter.. And also.. not sure about the dropper..

cool thanks snagwell

i got a 60gallon tank any chance you no how much ammonia i would need to add to that?

do you have to do water changes each day to?

and did you add any >nitrifying bacteria< chemicals into the water that you get from the lfs ??

Welcome to TFF and it´s good to see you are going to do a fishless cycle. Good choice.

If you know anyone who can give you a piece of sponge from their filter it will certainly speed things along for you. No need for ornaments as the bacteria you want will not be on them.

You will need a water test kit, I suggest the API freshwater kit it will provide you with hundreds of tests and is much better than the test strips which are not so accurate.

You can buy a dropper from Boots chemists.

First fill a bucket with a gallon of water and drop ammonia into it a couple of drops at a time. Keep measuring the ammonia levels with the API test for ammonia until you reach the required level. You can scale that up for the size of tank you have.

You will very quickly learn visually how much you will need.

You need pure ammonia which is available from Homebase and Robert Dias stores amongst others, find it in the cleaning section. Be sure it is pure and does not have anything added. You can test this by shaking it and making sure it does not foam.

Keep us informed on your progress and we will try to help you along.

Good luck.

hey thanks for that toshapetriji

i dont get what you mean with filling the bucket with a gallon of water tho kinda lost on that bit lol
any way you could explain it a bit clearer if you dont mind please, sorry i get lost easy lol

hey thanks for that toshapetriji

i dont get what you mean with filling the bucket with a gallon of water tho kinda lost on that bit lol
any way you could explain it a bit clearer if you dont mind please, sorry i get lost easy lol
What he means, is you get a bucket of water, and fill it up with one UK/US gallon, whichever you measure your tank in. You then get your dropper, and your ammonia, you then and a few drops of ammonia, test the water to see how much is in there, for example, 3ppm. At 3ppm, you want to add a fraction more, just to bring it up to about 4-5ppm. Once you have worked out how many drops it takes to do 1 gallon, you then scale it up to your tank.

For example,

It takes you 3 drops of pure ammonia to raise the ammonia levels, in one gallon to 4-5ppm, and you have a 10 gallon tank, then you times 3 drops by 10, that way you know how much you need to raise it to 4-5ppm in a 10 gallon.

Does that help?

D.

OK so you maybe have a tank of 30 gallons let´s say.

You need the ammonia dosage to be aroung 5ppm (parts per million) for cycling the tank.

If you fill a bucket with a gallon of water and dose it with ammonia a little at a time until you reach 5ppm then it is a simple calculation to work out how much you need to add to your tank to reach the same 5ppm.

Say you need to add 10 drops to the bucket to reach 5ppm and the tank is 30 gallons then

10 drops times 30 will raise your tank to 5ppm.

Hope that makes sense.

it takes 5.2 ml to raise a 100ltre tank to 5ppm so going by that and this is only rough guide then your tank s around 260 litres if the 70 gallon is US so that would make it around 13 ml ish to get your tank to 5ppm ..... as for the water changes no leave the water changes off unless u have a major ph crash but that very unlikely 2 happen with in the first 3-4 weeks if happens at all but just keep monitoring the stats :)raise ur temp to high 80's and put the airstone in wont make any major difference either way but i guess more oxygen in the water is always better for bacteria :)

hope this helped m8

jen

Yes, toshape has decscribed the test, which can be done in 1 or 2 gallons of water in a bucket. I did that for my fishless cycle. It ends up being a lot of drops after you multiply and eventually you can just translate it into "squirts" from the dropper and probably get close enough to 4-5ppm. However, Jen mentions a "ml" measurement and this brings up the fact that you can often find a plastic syringe at the drugstore with millelitre measurements marked on it.

You should never do your ammonia dose based on someone else's number or via an ammonia calculator without also doing the "bucket test." Its possible the the ammonia concentration or the measurement technique to vary. Also, in the beginning when you are trying to figure out "your" measurement, try to come in low and your way to a final amount.

The water volume in your tank, after substrate and decorations, may be somewhat lower than you think, so again, come in low and maybe have to add a little more and re-test (always writing down your "ml" or "drops" so you end up with a number you can use day after day.) Its important because you don't want to get as high as 8ppm, you want to definately be down around 4-6ppm.

You do not want to do water changes during a fishless cycle, especially during the first phase when you are waiting for ammonia to drop to zero. Much later in the process, if you are having trouble, the members will sometimes suggest a water change, especially if your pH drops too much (the ideal pH is between 8.0 and 8.4, middle ranges are ok, low pH of 6.2 is when the process stops and down around 5.5 the bacteria can be killed.)

If you already have an airpump/airstone, then its recommended for added surface movement, which increases oxygen a little. If you have a noise problem with that and your filter system is already providing lots of surface water movement then its not entirely necessary, or you could turn it off at night if its a bedroom or whatever. But if you can do it, its good.

You need to crank your temperature up to 29C/84F. Remember, your water during fishless cycling has nothing to do with what it will be like later with fish, just think of it as an "ammonia soup" to grow bacteria. Its a temporary situation for a period of weeks.

You should post up your tap water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite(NO2), nitrate(NO3)) here and then your tank water parameters. You should establish a regular time block in the morning or evening when you plan to always add your ammonia and then you should keep a notebook, adding a line starting with the date and actual time you add ammonia and/or the measurements. You generally test for pH, nitrite(NO2) and ammonia twice a day, about 12 hours apart. Not all periods of the fishless cycle require you to all tests. For instance, nitrite(NO2) need not be done during the first period while your really just waiting for ammonia to drop to zero the first time, which may take days or even a week or two. Nitrate(NO3) is a difficult test (lots of shaking usually) and only needs to be done occasionally, to see if some of the nitrite(NO2) is getting converted.

Lot of sentences up there, but you can look back at it for reference.

~~waterdrop~~

k cool thanks guys been a great deal of help :) got my ammonia testing kit just testing my tank water see what it comes back at so let you no :)

i just did a test on my aqurium water,

ammonia was 6.1

by adding my ammonia will it bring it down from 6.1 to 5ppm?

ok cool thank waterdrop

i put a gallon of tap water in a bucket and not water from my tank is that fine?

If you're referring to testing how many drops of ammonia it takes to bring a gallon up to 5ppm, then yes, you'd use a bucket of tap water. You would not then put that in your tank of course, you'd just note how many drops it finally took to get your gallon up to 5ppm. To make it easy, let's say it took 10 drops of ammonia to make your gallon test at 5ppm. If your tank is 60 gallons, you'd subtract some for substrate, so let's say 50 gallons to be safe. You'd multiply the 10 drops times 50 gallons and get 500 drops of ammonia needed as a starting point in the tank. You'd then put 500 drops in the tank, measure with your liquid ammonia test and see if its close to 5ppm. You might then have to add some more drops until the test looks like 5ppm ammonia in the tank test.

You can see from this how tedious it is using a dropper. A syringe marked with measurements is much easier for a large tank like you've got.

~~waterdrop~~

Nice Thread it answered a heck of a lot of questions I was going to ask before my first fishless cycle

nice work: waterdrop , JenCliBee , toshapetriji , Declan :good:

Most reactions

Back