Can Male Dwarfs Live Together?

pianogirl

Reaction score
I know this question is asked alot but just wanted a little more info. I would like to get 2 dwarfs of the same sex and since the males are nicer looking I really want a few of them. I've heard some people say they fight and some say they get along fine. What have you guys personally found to be true? Thank you so much!!!

I know this question is asked alot but just wanted a little more info. I would like to get 2 dwarfs of the same sex and since the males are nicer looking I really want a few of them. I've heard some people say they fight and some say they get along fine. What have you guys personally found to be true? Thank you so much!!!

i think you should have at least 20 gallons if you want to try this. if the setup is well-planted, it should be alright. haha they certainly wont like it, but they'll get used to it eventually. floating plants or plants that reach the surface are key. gouramis spend most of their time at the top 1/3 of the aquarium. its best to break the line of sight so they aren't constantly reminded of each other every second of every day.

if the tank isn't decorated properly you'll most likely get one dwarf dominating the other into a stressful life of hiding. the inferior fish will die prematurely as a result.

It really depends upon the size and the lay-out of your tank. Normally we count on 10 gallon/gourami (30 litres) but you need to make sure there are hiding places and artefacts so they can delimit their territories. And yes, with dwarfs there is always you chance you have a very dominant one, but normally after some harrassing they will have established a hierarchy which is respected.

It really depends upon the size and the lay-out of your tank. Normally we count on 10 gallon/gourami (30 litres) but you need to make sure there are hiding places and artefacts so they can delimit their territories. And yes, with dwarfs there is always you chance you have a very dominant one, but normally after some harrassing they will have established a hierarchy which is respected.

Thanks for answering. So you think that 2 would be ok with plenty of hiding places? I do have some plants and counld easily add more.

More answers would be great :) I am planning on buying my fish tonight.

i think you should have at least 20 gallons if you want to try this. if the setup is well-planted, it should be alright. haha they certainly wont like it, but they'll get used to it eventually. floating plants or plants that reach the surface are key. gouramis spend most of their time at the top 1/3 of the aquarium. its best to break the line of sight so they aren't constantly reminded of each other every second of every day.

if the tank isn't decorated properly you'll most likely get one dwarf dominating the other into a stressful life of hiding. the inferior fish will die prematurely as a result.

Thank you. I'm not sure as I have heard people say that they have had hem together and it went fine. I'll have to see.

Thank you. I'm not sure as I have heard people say that they have had hem together and it went fine. I'll have to see.

Another thing to bring up is the color variations. if you're not aware, there are at least three color strains of dwarfs out there. if you're gonna get three males you might want to mix it up.

theres the original (which i think is the best)
dwarf%20gourami.jpg

then theres the sunset red type which i really dont like too much, but its still nice. it looks a lot like the honey gourami.
Sunset%20Red%20Dwarf%20Gourami.jpg

and then theres the blue dwarf which is also very nice. if you find them, make sure yet get the darkest one you can find. a lot of the blues out there are kind of pale and not nearly as beautiful
Colisa_lalia_Neon_Blue_2.jpg

Most reactions

Back