Can I Put My Clown Loaches In With My Oscars

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
the tank that the loaches are in at the moment, was a replacement for the 15 inch tall one that my sons smashed during a fight, and the one they are in now is only a foot high (12inch), i cant see them and i miss them, so i was wondering if i could move them in with the oscars and convicts for a few months, ( max 4 i would say) 2 of them are quite large (5 inch) and 2 are bit smaller maybe 3inch, they are inquisitive little buggers,but there are lots of hiding places, so from that point of veiw i think it will be ok, but im wanting to check this out with you lot.the tank conditions are the same on both, ( water stats.temp)
think i would be concerned about the convicts to be honest,but as i say the clowns are inquistive so the convicts would just run from them, and i cant imagine those little jail birds getting stressed by the docile clowns. anyway ill shut up now, give you a chance to speak

shelagh xxxx

ps, large common plec needs good home, in buy and sell. hes about 6 inches and lives in DUNDEE

Hi Shelagh

I have heard of clowns with Oscars before but usually when they are larger. I would not personally add your small clowns with an Oscar. Other people may have some practical experience of this however.

Cheers.

This could be an interesting outcome if you add them in. O's are renound for putting anything that will fit into their mouth, into their mouth, ie... other fish. But I also know that though many cichlids are boistorous, they can be startled or afraid of the unknown... my JD is more afraid of khuli's than they are of him (JD is full grown at 8" and khuli's about 2.5 to 3" and diameter of a fat pen). He will swim away if one comes near him instead of the normal reaction you would figure... eat it. I don't know how the o would react with the clowns, but you can try adding the two bigger clowns and see if the o's even pay attention to them... if a few days goes by then try adding the smaller ones.

but just like OscarWilde, I have no experience with this, just trying to relate to my own similar experiences

thanks you two, the clowns wouldnt fit in there mouths,(( tho these oscars have big stretchy mouths lol) so maybe ill have a go slowley like you suggest, just be nice to have all my faves in one place

shelagh xxx

i had my oscars in with 2 4inch clowns when they were 6inches and they didnt even look at them!!!
i would say go for the bigger ones first as ox5477 says :good:
just make sure oscars are well feed :rolleyes:

I have a friend who kept Oscars and Clowns together, they got on fine, the Oscar did try to eat one of the clowns the first week, but learnt his lesson when he was injured by the defensive spines a Clown Loach has. Never had a problem since!

Most reactions

Back