Can I Layer Gravel And Sand On The Bottom Of A Tank?

the gravel will eventually sink through the sand

What about coarse sand and small gravel? Will that help the sinking? Also just curious, when you have a completely sand bottom and do water changes, doesn't all the sand kick up from the bottom and cloud the aquarium?

What about coarse sand and small gravel? Will that help the sinking? Also just curious, when you have a completely sand bottom and do water changes, doesn't all the sand kick up from the bottom and cloud the aquarium?

you really shouldn't use coarse sand, many fish like to sift it through they're gills, if it's coarse they could hurt themselves on it. It really needs to be nice and fine. Aquarium sand or play sand only.

There is a bit of a knack to not sucking up a load of sand with water changes but you soon get the hang of it.

why did you want both?

another Q - is it fine to add sand when fish are in the tank or not a good idea? Loaches like sand don't they?

another Q - is it fine to add sand when fish are in the tank or not a good idea? Loaches like sand don't they?

i've changed over a tank from gravel to sand with the fish still in the tank before. You just need to make sure the sand is very very clean, vac out the gravel first too as when you take it out it's gonna stir up loads of poop.

it is possible but if you can I'd advise taking the fish out, putting them in a big bucket or something and then doing it, wait half an hr or so for the sand to settle and then put the fish back in.

:)

i've changed over a tank from gravel to sand with the fish still in the tank before. You just need to make sure the sand is very very clean, vac out the gravel first too as when you take it out it's gonna stir up loads of poop.

it is possible but if you can I'd advise taking the fish out, putting them in a big bucket or something and then doing it, wait half an hr or so for the sand to settle and then put the fish back in.

:)

I too changed from gravel to sand with the fish still in, my tank clouded for about 6 hours or so, but no harm was done, it can cloud for alot longer if you don't rinse it properly. The only thing was, my nitrates shot up... so the second time I did it, in my smaller tank.... I cleaned (vacced) the gravel really thoroughly for 3 water changes before I was doing the changeover, and it seemed to work better.. also noticeably less muck in the water.

Quite a few people on the forum have experienced mini-cycles when they've changed substrate from gravel to sand - it is possible of course, but be prepared that you may need to do loads of water changes if a mini cycle starts.

Keep aside some of your current substrate in tank water, just incase the change to sand puts your tank into a mini-cycle as Scubadoo said. It happened to me, so it's deffinatly worth having a safety.

what i mean by sand being kicked up is when i pour water in my tank the force of it reaches the bottom so will it make the sand go up in the water. do you get what im saying? is that ok for the fish with all sand floatin around for a bit?

The only problem with sand from experience is if you do not have "very good" circulation you will have "dead spots" in the tank. Believe me it is nasty to deal with.

....and if you have a very powerful filter, it will blow a hole in the sand, I had one corner that was sand-free, opposite the filter, where the current hit on the glass and bounced it all out of the way. Turn it down andjiggle it about so you get the right filtration but not the "hurricane effect".

Most reactions

Back