Can I Keep A Betta With...

buttercupbabe078

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have been looking into betta's and I don't really wanna have to keep one in a tank on it's own. Could I keep one in a 126 litre tank with 7 platties, 2 molles, a plec, 2 black skirt tetras, and about 7 others tertas?

That sounds like a lot of fish for the size of your tank, and also plecs grow to be massive fish, and so that tank is too small for it.

That sounds like a lot of fish for the size of your tank, and also plecs grow to be massive fish, and so that tank is too small for it.

Well considering I've had him since last oct when he was a teeny tiny baby and he's now only about 6cm I don't think it's gonna happen too quick!

Does anyone ever answer questions or do they just critercise?

I've heard most tetras will be nippy, and since bettas have long fins, it puts them at risk. You could try, but make sure to have a spare tank on standby.

It all depends what type of Pleco it is. Everyone just assumes Sailfin or Common with out finding out what the member owns. :rolleyes:
The Betta would be fine in a tank on his own as they are solitary fish by nature and don't need tankmates. You will find that he may either be nipped or end up nipping other fish. The other problem is water flow, your other fish will prefer a stronger current while the Betta prefers still water.
You'd be best upping your Black Skirt Tetras to about 5-6 as they prefer to be in groups.
If you are to try a Betta in your tank then make sure you have a spare tank ready in case things don't work out. Remember, that although he may be fine in there for weeks, he could well become aggressive or the subject of aggression so not worth the risk in my opinion.

I've heard most tetras will be nippy, and since bettas have long fins, it puts them at risk. You could try, but make sure to have a spare tank on standby.

Actually now you've said that, I do remember why I have a seperate tank for my guppies! I'll have to work on getting my other half to let me have another tank!

Apologies, i did just assume it would be a common pleco.

What type of pleco is it?

You'd be best upping your Black Skirt Tetras to about 5-6 as they prefer to be in groups.

I did have 5 black skirts but 3 died. No too keen on them after I watched it suck in a baby that I had just spotted. And to add insult to injury he spat it out and sucked it in again, just incase I didn't see the first time! Gonna wait to get a betta until I can get another tank. x

I think that's a great idea. You should be able to get yourself a little 5G set up quite cheap and he'll love having the space for himself.
See if your lfs will take your BS Tetras back and you could exchange them for something you really like.

I think my plec is a golden nugget.

It's my birthday on the 25th and people have been asking me what I want! ;)

I'm not too worried about the bs's at the moment coz now there isn't any guppies in there all the fish get on fine and the tertas play around with each other.
They are lovely fish to look at but I wouldn't get them again as I love guppies!

You've got nothing to worry about if it is a Golden Nugget Pleco as they generally only grow to about 7-8" although the L018 can reach twice that size.

I think some of the fish will try to eat the betta and the betta will try to eat the other fish. MAYBE.

I think some of the fish will try to eat the betta and the betta will try to eat the other fish. MAYBE.
They will only eat other fish once they have died but they are likely to nip at each other and cause damage to the fins.

Most reactions

Back