Can I Get Another Plec.

Murpheus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 1200X400X400 tank. Around 49Gal UK (55Gal US) with a few hardy plants, lava rocks & a couple of large pieces of bog-wood. Plenty of good hiding spots :)

I already have 2 plecs, a L134 Leopard frog pleco & a couple of weeks back I added a L006 Brown Dot Peckoltia. The two don't really bother one another & can usually be found in neighbouring lava rocks or lurking under one of the pieces of bogwood.

I'm so taken with these fish that I'd like to add another pleco. The only other 'fancy' plec I've seen locally are Gold Nuggets, which I really like the look of, but I've read about the different kinds of them & that some can get quite big so I've been uncertain about whether or not to buy one.

My LFS said that they could order most popular plecos in from England if I was prepared to be patient, so I've been looking around & I've been thinking of a King Tiger Pleco L066, a Queen Arabesque L260, or a Flash Pleco, L204. Something like that.

Question is though......Do I have room for anothe plec or should I stick with what I have?

Tankmates are.....

2 X Blue Rams
5 X Zebra Danios
3 X Zebra Loaches
6 X Schwartzii Corys
3 X Ottos

Any comments & opinions welcomed & appreciated.

Imo yes, thats a nice size tank and the 3 sp. that you mentioned there are all smaller ones, maxing out at about 5 inch give or take. You already sound aware of the need for hiding places so thats that covered.

Compatability wise from those 3 i would choose one of the Hypancistrus (L066 or L260) rather than the L204 (Panaque as both your current plecos have a tendency towards meaty foods which woud fit in well with the Qa or Tiger.

hth happy hunting!!

I would say go for it 100% but then I see a problem. You said that you might get a L204; these are Panaques and are very messy. These fish need a huge filtration system and a good weekly vacuum for their will be saw dust every where. Can I ask what type filtration system you run on your tank? But I would say you could do it. Sorry to be a downer :blush:

Shouldnt be a problem...

as mentioned provide cover and hiding places...

the saw dust output is just asetics really though - if you have gravel it'll settle into it and will be removed when vac'ing gravel... if you have sand however, it'll lay on the surface and does make the tank look dirty all the time.

(P.S. the tank is about 190L = 42 UK = 50 US)

Thanks people.

In answer to a few of those questions....

Shadow Fox, I already have a Leopard Frog & I'd like something different. Re: filtration, I am running 2 Fluval 4+ internal filters at the minute largely because they came with the tank when I bought it 2nd hand off ebay last year :D . They seem to be providing good filtration & also add a good current. I do hope to upgrade to a good quality external some day, but all in good time, I've fish to buy!

smithrc, I have a very fine smooth gravel that even my cories seem to really like & have had no problems with their barbels (not that you're asking about that, but I'll tell you anyway..lol) It gets a thorough vac at least once a week.

I think I'll go ahead & do some more research into QA's & hopefully get one ordered up.

Cheers.

Murph

Most reactions

Back