Can I Get A Betta?

DReasonWhy

Reaction score
I have a very well established aquarium, and I was wondering if adding a Betta will be okay.
The tank has tetras, guppys and a pair of Albino corydoras.
Here's a pic to give you an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 67
I have a very well established aquarium, and I was wondering if adding a Betta will be okay.
The tank has tetras, guppys and a pair of Albino corydoras.
Here's a pic to give you an idea.

Should be ok, but might be pushing the stocking limit (what size is the tank) bit more regular water changes could be helpfull.
If you do go for it, fingers crossed you get a placid betta, as some will attack/kill everything in your tank, however most are fine, i have one in with a small group of guppys, hill stream loach and cherry shrimp.
He occassionally takes a nip at a guppy tail but nothing that doesnt take more than a week to heal, and the odd shrimp goes down his gob. But it is just the character.

With guppies I'd say no, it has been done but its completely to chance as bettas have different tempers. All the bettas I've owned have been aggressive to even the most peaceful fish such as corries and harlequins. In my opinion they're best on their own

I will say no simply because Betta could kill'em and there is no way of knowing until you try and test it's temperament. Recently my Betta killed my shrimp but yet leaves he snails alone. You tank looks like mines, is it a Chi? if so then it is about 5-6gallons and already over-stocked.

All the best

:)

I will say no simply because Betta could kill'em and there is no way of knowing until you try and test it's temperament. Recently my Betta killed my shrimp but yet leaves he snails alone. You tank looks like mines, is it a Chi? if so then it is about 5-6gallons and already over-stocked.

All the best

:)

Thanks all of you :) I will just get a smaller tank for my Betta. I have kept a Betta before, but it jumped out of its tank after 1 year with me :(
And, my tank is not a Chi. It's an Eheim, and it's 12 gallons. :D

amazon has a nice 5gal glass aquarium kit

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Style-Glass-Aquarium-Kit/dp/B0035HBFWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344133661&sr=1-1&keywords=glass+aquarium+kit

Bettas think that any other fish with long, flawy tails are other Betta and will generally attack them and usually kill them...so probably not with guppies. However, they only need about 5 gallons so if you really want one you may be able to look into getting a small tank and keeping a beta with a few shrimp/snails.

I wouldnt get a betta if you have guppies. since guppies generally have long fins and bright flashy colors bettas will most likely see them as a thread and harass or kill them. If you do want a betta a little desktop 5 gallon with a gentle filter and a few broad leaved plants along with a heater to keep it toasty would be a nice set up. I would add a few amano shrimps to this setup as they are interesting little creatures. Hopefully you get a betta. If you do Id like to see the one you picked out!

Most reactions

Back