Can I Add My Fish With 0.25 Nitrite?

VanillaShake112

Reaction score
I've been cycling with fish food and my nitrite is at about 0.25, would it be alright to get my fish tomorrow as the ones that I am getting are quite hardy?(guppies/neon tetras) Because if not I will have to wait another week or more before I am able to get them.

I recommend waiting the additional week before adding any fish, otherwise what's the point of a fishless cycle? While not as harmful as ammonia, nitrite is still detrimental to your fish. :good:

Also, due to massive overbreeding, Guppies and Neons are nowhere near as hardy as they used to be. Neons aren't a good choice until the tank has matured (not the same as cycled), which is a good 4/5 months.

Im still just a newbie ...but I wanted to add that Im also at the tail end of cycling, waiting for ntritites to fall to 0. A few weeks ago, I measured .25 for 3 days in a row and then it shot back up so there's a chance that could still happen ...and with fish in the tank...better to just wait I'd think.

Believe me I understand the torture...Im over 40 days with this cycle. it sucks

have a read of the topic 'when is a cycle finished' in the scientific section where we are discussing just this

Most reactions

Back