Can I add more Discus fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It always seems that when anyone asks if they can add more fish (and that includes me, inside my head), the answer is no. If you didn't have great misgivings, you wouldn't ask.
We all hope someone will give us some grounded and realistic ideas on how we can add, but no such person exists.

The default answer becomes this question: Where can you add another tank?

No more fish for that tank. It's overstocked as is and the discus are only half grown. As soon as they reach maturity and start breeding, there's going to be big problems.

No more fish for that tank. It's overstocked as is and the discus are only half grown. As soon as they reach maturity and start breeding, there's going to be big problems.
Thanks Colin as always for your expertise. Discus just keep growing on you when you watch your discus growing and you know you have missed out on some strans.

Thanks Colin as always for your expertise. Discus just keep growing on you when you watch your discus growing and you know you have missed out on some strains.
It happens with lots of fish, not just discus. Birds and plants are another couple of hobbies where you get some and see new ones and want them too. You either need to get more tanks or try to control the urge to get more fish. Good luck with that. :)

It happens with lots of fish, not just discus. Birds and plants are another couple of hobbies where you get some and see new ones and want them too. You either need to get more tanks or try to control the urge to get more fish. Good luck with that. :)
Your correct 100%. Like you said they are half way there before hitting 18 to 24 months and if they happen to breed ill have to get another tank.
What do you think of the standard 1 discus for every 10 gallons of water?

1 baby discus (under 2 inches long) per 10 gallons is fine but adult discus can reach 10-12 inches in diameter (most only get to 7-8 inches) and a full grown pr need 100 gallons (tank size 4 foot long x 2 foot wide x 2 foot high) minimum.

1 baby discus (under 2 inches long) per 10 gallons is fine but adult discus can reach 10-12 inches in diameter (most only get to 7-8 inches) and a full grown pr need 100 gallons (tank size 4 foot long x 2 foot wide x 2 foot high) minimum.
Thanks Colin_T.

My discus are 7 months old and I have been feeding them 3 times a day. I have read on simply discus they feed 4inch discus 5 to 6 time a day and adults 3 times a day.
Can 5 to 6 times a day be over-feeding the fish when they got small gutts?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back