Can I add cherry barbs?

GabParker232

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive got a 33 gallon tank with only 8 harlequin rasbora and a pair of honey gourami. I'm very attracted to the cherry barb. I'm wondering whether I can add 4 females and 2 males?

Cant see any issues for you here :)

Cherry's arent as active as other barbs so they wont be too boisterous for your honey's or harlequin rasbora's. All peaceful fish and your tank will be big enough to accommodate these.

I have 4 f and 2m cherrys in my 29 gallon. The females tend to school together around the centre of the tank while the 2 males have a corner of the tank each as their own and come out to show off when the girls float by :fish:

Nice. Thank you. Wondering whether I can keep amano shrimp with them.

Agree on the cherry barbs, though I would suggest a couple more, say 8-9 with 4 males and 4 or 5 females.

Can't help with the shrimp.

Personally, I'm not a fan of cherry barbs. They are fine, but very boring fish. You may want to look at something more entertaining. I wouldn't buy so many in case you may want to buy some other fish. Are your plans to breed these? If so, then it might be worth having mote.

As far as entertaining, CoryDora's (3 or 4) are pretty nice fish, as well as a couple of Dojo Loaches (no shrimp with the Loaches). There also are some good natured bristlenose lemon Pleco (although these may be out of your price range. You won't be breeding any of these but they are funny and fun to show off.

While they may be interesting fish, dojo loaches will certainly not work here.

Shoaling fish must have sufficient numbers to provide for the inherent needs of the species. Corydoras need at least five or six, and more is always going to mean "happier" (which translates to healthier) fish, so a group of 7-10.

Same holds for cherry barbs...if you are going to acquire a species, then acquire sufficient numbers to provide a better environment. Anything less is not fair to the poor fish who are forced into what we provide them. If you like the cherries, fine, get a decent number so they will reward you and be more content.

Nice. Thank you. Wondering whether I can keep amano shrimp with them.

As long as your water parameters suit the Amano shrimp they should be fine with your fish. Just never put them with anything large or aggressive.

Always best to have plants for the shrimps to give them a bit of protection/cover to make them feel safe too. Ive been wanted to add some Amano's to one of my tanks for a while.

Cool little things :cool:

Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a fan of cherry barbs. They are fine, but very boring fish. You may want to look at something more entertaining. I wouldn't buy so many in case you may want to buy some other fish. Are your plans to breed these? If so, then it might be worth having mote.

As far as entertaining, CoryDora's (3 or 4) are pretty nice fish, as well as a couple of Dojo Loaches (no shrimp with the Loaches). There also are some good natured bristlenose lemon Pleco (although these may be out of your price range. You won't be breeding any of these but they are funny and fun to show off.
I will be adding a school of 5-6 sterbai, julii or peppered Cory's. Not sure which one yet. Any suggestions?

As long as your water parameters suit the Amano shrimp they should be fine with your fish. Just never put them with anything large or aggressive.

Always best to have plants for the shrimps to give them a bit of protection/cover to make them feel safe too. Ive been wanted to add some Amano's to one of my tanks for a while.

Cool little things :cool:
I keep amanos in my other tank just fine so I think they will work here.

Choice of cory species is up to your preference, as they all share identical behaviours, requirements, etc, and most attain roughly the same size. You should have sand for the substrate though, this wasn't indicated previously so I just mention it. And a few more will be better for them, you have the space, so consider 8-9.

Something to note. Some Corys grow larger than others (ex Pygmy cory vs emerald Cory), and also some Corys can tolerate different temperature ranges. Sterbai Cory for example have been noted to do well in higher temperatures than other Cory species. You can’t fit as many emerald Corys as you could panda Cory in the same space for example. Just something to think about while you’re deciding what you go with.

Something to note. Some Corys grow larger than others (ex Pygmy cory vs emerald Cory), and also some Corys can tolerate different temperature ranges. Sterbai Cory for example have been noted to do well in higher temperatures than other Cory species. You can’t fit as many emerald Corys as you could panda Cory in the same space for example. Just something to think about while you’re deciding what you go with.
Choice of cory species is up to your preference, as they all share identical behaviours, requirements, etc, and most attain roughly the same size. You should have sand for the substrate though, this wasn't indicated previously so I just mention it. And a few more will be better for them, you have the space, so consider 8-9.
Sterbai will likely be more expensive, but IMO its worth it as I think they are the most beautiful of the corries.
Thank you. Sterbai are pretty expensive but I agree they are incredibly beautiful!
Will decide what species of cory I will choose later and I will get at least 6 of them.

Most reactions

Back