Can anyone tell me what fish this is?

JOCKCOMP

Reaction score
I dont know what kind of a fish this is that I have in my tank. Its a type of a catfish me thinks, and very difficult to take pictures of, very camera shy.

Attachments

• new_19.jpg
    new_19.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
Looks like a Platydoras costatus, or Striped Raphael Catfish. I love these guys! :)

Give it a nice cave to hide in, and supplement its diet with live or frozen foods and it should be happy. The one's I've had in the past struggled with Ich on and off, but were easy to treat.

CFC would know the specifics, PM him if you have any questions.

That's funny that, the first time I looked at these pictures I couldn't even see a fish let alone tell the type. But as soon as I had the mental image of a Platydoras Costatus the fish immediately became clear in the second pic. It's like one of those optical illusion things - weird.

Thanks for the help

[QUOTE Give it a nice cave to hide in, and supplement its diet with live or frozen foods and it should be happy. The one's I've had in the past struggled with Ich on and off, but were easy to treat. ]

What is Ich ?

They're a social fish and do best in groups of a least three, but other than that just feed it and give it clean water and a cave to hide in. That's all we've ever done and our three seem happy.

Sinking carivore pellets, bloodworm, large brine shrimp, chopped prawn. anything meaty.

They will also eat fry if you have them so beware.

It is definitely a Striped Raphael Catfish. They (as you've been told) need a cave or something to hide in/under, meaty foods, clean water, regular tropical temperatures. They don't really need to be kept in groups but they will do better. I've always kept a couple of these guys. They're great. :)

Definately a Striped Doradide, or Striped Raphael Cat, or Striped Talking Cat, pick the name you like :)

Most reactions

Back