Can Anyone Recommend A Good Fry Muncher?

Tropical_Fish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
It appears I'm getting too many fry surviving in my community tank. I've only got female platy and only two of them but I'm getting about 6 new fry surviving every 3 weeks or so.

I was hoping for only one maybe two surviving each drop, the fish just don't seem interested in eating the fry.

Can anyone recommend something that will eat most of the fry with the odd one living every so often?!

I had heard neons were good for eating fry but my tank is only a few months old so I didn't want to add them yet as I was told to wait 6 months.

neons may eat a few but they are known to nip guppies.

Danio's are good at eating them, as are almost all other fish.

if its your 70ltr... you are limited to the type of fish. But angels are suited to that (but tank may not allow)

maybe some sort of rams (bolivian)

with that tank most fish that you could have eg gouramis/ danios are the best ... angels are the best imo ... any larger fish are generaly better

The tank is a bit small for an angel but they are real wizards at fry munching. I have a big community tank, 125 US gallons, and have only had one fry survive in the tank in the last 2 years. That tank had a single large angel in it.

Yes it's a long tank so only 12" high and not suitable for angels, I also thought it was a little small for danios.

Danio's would be fine, I occasionly chuck a couple of female zebras in my guppy tank and they mop up the hard to catch and unwanted fry in no time, and the zebras get a good feed out of it which in turn makes them better breeders.

My betta in my endler tank helps with fry somewhat but they can easily produce fry faster than he eats them.

I've got 3 female Platys, and one male.
Also 3 Rosy barbs - never seen a fry full stop.
Those barbs are awsome hunters ....

insted of getting something to eat them, y not post a thread on here t give them away to people that want them?

a apisto would work or a few upside down catfish i never have any fry survive in my 30g with them in there.

Personally I wouldn't add anything to a 70l tank - I would remove the female platies - problem solved.

I've got 3 female Platys, and one male.
Also 3 Rosy barbs - never seen a fry full stop.
Those barbs are awsome hunters ....

Are rosy barbs OK with Guppies though?

insted of getting something to eat them, y not post a thread on here t give them away to people that want them?

Already done a week or so ago - nobody has replied! It's under the livestock section - Free to anyone who can collect.

a apisto would work or a few upside down catfish i never have any fry survive in my 30g with them in there.

Will look into them

Personally I wouldn't add anything to a 70l tank - I would remove the female platies - problem solved.

Thanks for what you would do - but not a lot of help here.

I have got a giant gourami and I have not seen a single fry since I got him

Could you not make a deal with a LFS where they might take some of your fry
i only ask this as i was is mine today getting a fry trap and it was them who suggested to me
that i should bring them in if i didnt want them they wouldnt give me cash but i could be build up store credit

Regards

Most reactions

Back