Can anyone identify what these are?

GMazzle 83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all.
After much research and questions on these little balls that appeared in my tank
I've decided to see what everyone else thinks what they are.
Are they dangerous or unharmful to tank inhabitants.
A definitive answer would be great.
Thanks
G
20200824_224737.jpg

A bit of extra info - GMazzle 83 said in another thread that they've been there for 7 days.

A bit of extra info - GMazzle 83 said in another thread that they've been there for 7 days.
Hmm. Any thoughts? It’s hard to tell from a zoomed in picture... maybe nerite snails eggs, knowing the stocking would for sure help us all figure it out. :)

Nerite eggs are flat and opaque - they look like sesame seeds rather than balls.

Hmm. Any thoughts? It’s hard to tell from a zoomed in picture... maybe nerite snails eggs, knowing the stocking would for sure help us all figure it out. :)
So ive gourami's danios neon tetras and cory cats. No snails shrimps or other invertebrates. @essjayand myself had a good discussion earlier on this.
Any ideas now you k ow the stock?
Cheers
G

Could be cory eggs

They often lay them like that and stick them to the glass or decor. Whip them out into a breeding box before the tetra find them

Corydoras eggs.

If theyre not new ones laid, they may be older infertile or dud eggs.

If you move them to an aerated container, with water from the parent tank, they may hatch in 3-5 days if new. Then watch the spor the eggs were at and see if more are laid... to see if theyre old eggs or just new ones in a favorite place to lay them on

Corydoras eggs.

If theyre not new ones laid, they may be older infertile or dud eggs.

If you move them to an aerated container, with water from the parent tank, they may hatch in 3-5 days if new. Then watch the spor the eggs were at and see if more are laid... to see if theyre old eggs or just new ones in a favorite place to lay them on
@essjay think this confirms your initial thoughts. @NCaquatics and @James7 thanks for confirmation.;)
G

Just a bit of clarification on gourami eggs - the male makes a nest of bubbles on the water surface and the eggs are placed inside this bubble nest. If any fall out, the male catches them and puts them back. If he doesn't, they just fall to the bottom of the tnak. They don't stick to anything.
They are not neon or danio eggs as they are just scattered and don't stick to anything.

The only thing that makes me query cory eggs is that after 7 days, they should have hatched if they were fertile, but if they were infertile cory eggs, they should have grown fungus on them by now, shouldn't they? But I can't think what else they could be.

Just a bit of clarification on gourami eggs - the male makes a nest of bubbles on the water surface and the eggs are placed inside this bubble nest. If any fall out, the male catches them and puts them back. If he doesn't, they just fall to the bottom of the tnak. They don't stick to anything.
They are not neon or danio eggs as they are just scattered and don't stick to anything.

The only thing that makes me query cory eggs is that after 7 days, they should have hatched if they were fertile, but if they were infertile cory eggs, they should have grown fungus on them by now, shouldn't they? But I can't think what else they could be.
Well I should have taken them out sooner because they have been eaten now. I'm only getting used to looking after the grown ups and don't think I have the knowledge of having eggs and fry in my tank. Wouldn't have a clue what to do.

I am not sure if they would always grow fungus or not but turning opaque is an indicator that they are not fertile is it not?

It’s hard to get an idea of scale, are they about 1mm?

I am not sure if they would always grow fungus or not but turning opaque is an indicator that they are not fertile is it not?

It’s hard to get an idea of scale, are they about 1mm?
Yeah 1or2mm approx a few which are left are translucent so maybe these are fertile?
I really have no idea about this stuff.

They may just be repeatedly laying eggs in the same spot, instead of them being older eggs. Thats why I'm thinking for you to see if thats the case by moving these ones to see if more are placed again.

I mean, my pygmy cories repeatedly lay eggs on the sides of my ramshorn snails. Its like a favourite spot. So..

And not necessarily will they fungus, though high chance they should

Most reactions

Back