Can anyone ID my friend’s fish?

Ellie11

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
he says it may be a Blue Dolphin, but it looks nothing like my pair. Could this be a hybrid? It is prettier than my big all blue dolphins. Has Colin or Gary been around? Probably they would know.
IMG_1492.jpeg

Last edited:
A Google reverse image check shows this. some are very
IMG_1493.jpeg
similar to his fish.

It's not a blue dolphin cichlid (Cyrtocara moorii). They look completely different and don't have red.

It might be a Copadichromis species.

The fish in the picture needs more food and clean water. it is sunken in around the head and fins look a bit ragged.

See if @Wills knows what it is.

It is, dug deeper last night . Incredibly beautiful. Confirmed google reverse image check. Will is correct
Cool :) They are quite a special Malawi as they are one of the few green species in the lake so they are quite coveted - when people are doing all male tanks as per the current trend more people choose Otopharynx Lithobates over this one, Lithobates is bright blue with an orange stripe down its top/back so it is a tough choice but Lithobates is similar visually to some other species so thats when people choose Tetrastigma.

Some guy in a FB group is breeding them at home & wants to sell me some, but I’m afraid to add new fish to the cichlid tank. They have established a social hierarchy and can be agitated when newcomers are added. Too much anxiety for me.

Some guy in a FB group is breeding them at home & wants to sell me some, but I’m afraid to add new fish to the cichlid tank. They have established a social hierarchy and can be agitated when newcomers are added. Too much anxiety for me.
Can definitely appreciate that - would love to know more about your tank :) I'm about to set up an Mbuna tank so loving learning about anything Malawi!

Most reactions

Back