Can Any Cichlids Be Mixed With Tiger Barbs?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LineDropper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 30g tank that has been cycled. Ph is about 7.4 and I currently have 6 tiger barbs.

I would like to mix in cichlids but I should have done my homework before I put the tiger barbs in... it looks like my options may be few to noon. My LFS recommends Keyhole cichlids since they are shy and relatively peaceful fish.

Do you think 6 tiger barbs would be happy in a 10g tank???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey LineDropper!

I think that you have little to worry about with keeping tiger barbs and quite a few, if not most, cichlids...so I would be more concerned with finding the right species of cichlid(s) that will not outgrow a 30 gallon tank. My reason for saying that is because, in the past, I have kept tiger barbs to act as dither fish in my cichlid tanks...and at one time, kept them with some of the most aggressive mbuna without problems. Additionally, I am currently keeping 10 Arulius Barbs and four Odessa Barbs in the same tank as almost a dozen P. Saulosi and have experienced absolutely no problems from doing so. However, I don't mean to imply that any community fish can coexist with any cichlid, but if you choose fish wisely, it can be done. The trick to doing so though is that the community fish need to be an appropriate size, quick swimmers, and probably a fish which schools/shoals; among other things. In fact, tiger barbs may be one of the best examples of a good dither fish for a cichlid tank...and IME, keeping dither fish in a cichlid tank has quite a few advantages to it, including making all of the fish more active and reducing the problems associated with aggressive fish.

Personally, I would advise against keeping 6 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank. While it is true that they grow to about three or four inches in length, they are relatively 'round' fish (sort of like a discus I suppose) - making them a bit larger than we might think. Besides, while you may experience less fin nipping from your tiger barbs because you have six of them in the same tank, keeping tiger barbs and other fish with similar nipping habits in a small tank may only make that habit more of a problem.

Hey LineDropper!

I think that you have little to worry about with keeping tiger barbs and quite a few, if not most, cichlids...so I would be more concerned with finding the right species of cichlid(s) that will not outgrow a 30 gallon tank. My reason for saying that is because, in the past, I have kept tiger barbs to act as dither fish in my cichlid tanks...and at one time, kept them with some of the most aggressive mbuna without problems. Additionally, I am currently keeping 10 Arulius Barbs and four Odessa Barbs in the same tank as almost a dozen P. Saulosi and have experienced absolutely no problems from doing so. However, I don't mean to imply that any community fish can coexist with any cichlid, but if you choose fish wisely, it can be done. The trick to doing so though is that the community fish need to be an appropriate size, quick swimmers, and probably a fish which schools/shoals; among other things. In fact, tiger barbs may be one of the best examples of a good dither fish for a cichlid tank...and IME, keeping dither fish in a cichlid tank has quite a few advantages to it, including making all of the fish more active and reducing the problems associated with aggressive fish.

Personally, I would advise against keeping 6 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank. While it is true that they grow to about three or four inches in length, they are relatively 'round' fish (sort of like a discus I suppose) - making them a bit larger than we might think. Besides, while you may experience less fin nipping from your tiger barbs because you have six of them in the same tank, keeping tiger barbs and other fish with similar nipping habits in a small tank may only make that habit more of a problem.

Well I did it!!!! All excited. Went out and got 4 Johanni cichlids today. Put them in with my tiger barbs (6 of them) and so far all is well. I have quite of bit of hiding places and the johannis spent most of the day hiding. The tiger barbs stayed near the top of the tank. When the cichlids do come out, the barbs show respect - you can already see who is in charge of the tank. We'll see what happens now!

Most reactions

Back