Can A Heater Poison A Tank?

Easy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm guessing no. I would think that the manufacturer wouldn't be that dumb. But I was just curious. I noticed that mine is starting to look very ruff. It looks rusted and corroded. Is it possible for a heater to deteriorate and leach poison into the water? I also notice that mine looks like it may be producing a bubble or two that rise to the surface. My heater is placed under my gravel so im not sure if the bubbles are actually coming from the heater or not but definitely the general vicinity. What do you think?

Is it metal? if it is it could poison the tank depending on type or covering. If bubbles are coming from it you should return it as it could electrify your tank. You should move your heater above the gravel to see if this is true. If it isn't your heater your tank might be leaking.

Is it metal? if it is it could poison the tank depending on type or covering. If bubbles are coming from it you should return it as it could electrify your tank. You should move your heater above the gravel to see if this is true. If it isn't your heater your tank might be leaking.
I don't think it's all metal. I think it is glass with rubber suction cups.mit may have some metal rings or something. It is about 4 years old and has been constant use. Never killed any fish before but I am starting a new tank. I had to restart my cycle as I was losing fish . I just wondered if maybe this heater had something to do with it as I have never lost a fish to water condition before.

I've seen condensation in heaters before, usually a small leak where the cap meets the glass tube. A heater under the gravel is a bad idea, it can lead to many problems, as they are not designed for that. Mount it to the back or one end, but it shouldn't touch anything.

well this is what it looked like when i took it out. Keep in mind it is about 4-5 years old and I used to have some black fin sharks that i kept a fair amount of salt in the tank. still looks really bad though huh? I went and bought a brand new one and attached it near the top of the tank. :)

securedownload-1.jpg

That is probably just a build up of scale. I have had that happen inbetween a glass heater and a plastic cover before.

Most reactions

Back